[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] XMDs for serial I/O?

compton@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Michael Compton) (03/12/91)

Does anyone know where I might find XCMDs for writing to and reading from the
Mac's serial port?  Any hints or pointers appreciated.
Thanks,

Michael Compton
NASA Ames Research Center, M/S 244-17
Moffett Field, CA 94035
email: compton@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov
phone: (415) 604-6776

Paul.Heller@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Paul Heller) (03/13/91)

MC> Does anyone know where I might find XCMDs for writing to and reading f
MC> Mac's serial port?  Any hints or pointers appreciated.
MC> Thanks,

Apple sells its "Serial Port Toolkit" of XCMDs thru APDA, and it's
pretty good.  I've used it with great success up to 38.4 kbps, and it
seems solid.  The only serious limitation I've encountered is really a
fundamental HyperCard limit:  you can't deal with ASCII 0s, since
HyperCard doesn't "see" those.  There's an XCMD called "SendSerial"
floating around that will *send* ASCII 0s (and translate from Hex
representations, too) but it doesn't receive.  This shouldn't be a
problem in normal comm work, but if you're talking to an instrument
that uses ASCII 0 for something important, you'll have a problem doing
it with HyperCard.

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh - 301-946-8677 - 10 lines (1:109/421)

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (03/15/91)

In article <668818815.3@blkcat.Fidonet.Org>
Paul.Heller@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Paul Heller) writes:
> MC> Does anyone know where I might find XCMDs for writing to and reading f
> MC> Mac's serial port?  Any hints or pointers appreciated.
> MC> Thanks,
>
> Apple sells its "Serial Port Toolkit" of XCMDs thru APDA, and it's
> pretty good.  I've used it with great success up to 38.4 kbps, and it
> seems solid.  The only serious limitation I've encountered is really a
> fundamental HyperCard limit:  you can't deal with ASCII 0s, since
> HyperCard doesn't "see" those.  There's an XCMD called "SendSerial"
> floating around that will *send* ASCII 0s (and translate from Hex
> representations, too) but it doesn't receive.  This shouldn't be a
> problem in normal comm work, but if you're talking to an instrument
> that uses ASCII 0 for something important, you'll have a problem doing
> it with HyperCard.

The 2.6 release of the Toolkit lets you deal with nulls now too. It adds
XCMDs to send and receive bytes as numeric values (i.e., "100, 101, 102"),
so you can send anything you want. It also works better when talking to
non-ASCII devices. There's a corresponding receive XFCN.

You can get it from APDA. It may also be available on apple.com or
ftp.apple.com, but I'm not sure about that.