[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Needed: XCMD that writes text files

Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) (03/01/91)

OK, OK, I know that with HyperCard I can write text files with the WRITE
command. I have a problem with output of long lines to a text file in
FoxBASE+/Mac, because of what I consider a bug in that package. (In case
you're wondering what a FoxBASE posting is doing in
comp.sys.mac.hypercard, FoxBASE can use many HyperCard-compatible XCMDs
and XFCNs. Since 98% of XCMD and XFCN writers create them for HyperCard,
this seems like a more useful place to post my request.)

The problem in a nutshell is that FoxBASE limits output lines written to a
text file to 255 characters between carriage returns, even though it can
produce lines of much greater length on the screen simply by outputting
them without carriage returns. (If any FB types want the details, e-mail
me). I figure the easiest way to get my text files written is via an XCMD
that will write a text string to a file without worrying about what's in
it.

Any code, source or pointers would be helpful. Fox has no plans to fix
this problem until FoxPro is released later this year.

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R. Crispin - Psychology) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.230217.29739@newsserver.sfu.ca> Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) writes:
>OK, OK, I know that with HyperCard I can write text files with the WRITE
>command. I have a problem with output of long lines to a text file in

   Much Stuff Deleted

The Dartmouth XCMD stack (3.1 or later) has a command called WriteToFile. It will write a
container to a file. It will optionally present a file dialog box to put the container
in.

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          EMail:    psych@watdcs.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo                 psych@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1

a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (03/16/91)

In article <1991Feb28.230217.29739@newsserver.sfu.ca>, Mike_Dustan@ucs.sfu.ca (Mike Dustan) writes:
> OK, OK, I know that with HyperCard I can write text files with the WRITE
> command. I have a problem with output of long lines to a text file in
> FoxBASE+/Mac, because of what I consider a bug in that package. (In case
> you're wondering what a FoxBASE posting is doing in
> comp.sys.mac.hypercard, FoxBASE can use many HyperCard-compatible XCMDs
> and XFCNs. Since 98% of XCMD and XFCN writers create them for HyperCard,
> this seems like a more useful place to post my request.)
Whilst Fox extended the XCMD interface to allow passing PICTS back and forward
I have a feeling (from some testing) that it doesn't pass MEMO fields - sorry
I don't have the time to check this out.

> The problem in a nutshell is that FoxBASE limits output lines written to a
> text file to 255 characters between carriage returns, even though it can
> produce lines of much greater length on the screen simply by outputting
> them without carriage returns. (If any FB types want the details, e-mail
> me). I figure the easiest way to get my text files written is via an XCMD
> that will write a text string to a file without worrying about what's in
> it.
>
> Any code, source or pointers would be helpful. Fox has no plans to fix
> this problem until FoxPro is released later this year.
I thought a report might fix this but a few minutes testing showed I was
wrong - I suggest the best workaround would be an XCMD which filters your file.

Put a special character in wherever you WANT a carriage return and write an
XCMD that filters your file to another - stripping all CR's and inserting
where you indicated.

Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz       Western Australia  6066
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.AU (international)