[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] XCMD interface to Macintalk

moore@cs.washington.edu (Charles Moore) (02/20/91)

Can somebody point me to an XCMD that provides an interface to Macintalk?
Something that would provide a HyperTalk command like "speak phonemestring"
would be great.  Actually, it doesn't have to be Macintalk either.  Any
speech synthesis module will do so long as it's public domain.

- Charles

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (02/28/91)

In article <15133@june.cs.washington.edu> moore@cs.washington.edu (Charles Moore) writes:

>Can somebody point me to an XCMD that provides an interface to Macintalk?
>Something that would provide a HyperTalk command like "speak phonemestring"
>would be great.
Everything you want should be contained in a HyperCard stack whose name
is exactly or similar to "HyperMacintalks". It is available from user
groups including BMUG in Berkeley at (415) :
   Office: 549-2684 m-f 8-12 & 1-4
   Announcements: 849-9114
   Help: 849-4357

>Any speech synthesis module will do so long as it's public domain.

If you hear of any other than Macintalk, I would like to know about
it.

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

cpk@valideast.COM (NANJIL NESAN) (03/15/91)

Another simpler implementation is a public domain stack called
Hyperspeak which has XCMD called "speak". Unlike hypermacintalk this
does not require initalizing globals. Morever it seems to work
perfectly with the new system 6.07.

Commercially you can get the Moose stack with hypercard speech
synthesizer xcmd.

--
  C. Kumar
  Valid Logic Systems, PCB Division, 2 Omni Way

SEIKO-GUAM@cup.portal.com (m c Wilkins) (03/18/91)

Has anyone seen an XCMD that allows you to use the MacinTalk exceptions
dictionary.  It would be nice to have decent sounding messages stored in
fields that users could update without trying to code everything in
phonetics.

Thanks
Paul Carlson
Using SEIKO-GUAM