[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 2.x & ATM 2.0

larry@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry Sherman) (03/19/91)

I use ATM-supplied fonts (e.g. Helvetica), and when I open a stack, if I
don't have the SPECIFIC size of font installed (e.g. Helvetica 18), I get
a warning from Hypercard to install the font.  One of the points of using
ATM is that it scales fonts to any appropriate size, so you don't have to
install a million sizes of a font.  Is there a way around this, other than
biting the bullet and installing the specified font & size?

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/19/91)

Does this warning appear when you start up HyperCard? If so, it's simple
enough to patch the Home stack script to remove it. The StartUp handler
needs patching, as follows:

on startUp
  -- Requires handler: getHomeInfo,checkForMissingFonts
  -- gets and sets the user's preferences
  getHomeInfo
  checkForMissingFonts -- inform user of missing fonts <-- **REMOVE THIS LINE**
  pass startUp -- so others can use it
end startUp

Just remove (or comment out) the line I've marked, and you're all set.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (03/20/91)

In article <1329@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU>, larry@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Larry Sherman) writes:
> I use ATM-supplied fonts (e.g. Helvetica), and when I open a stack, if I
> don't have the SPECIFIC size of font installed (e.g. Helvetica 18), I get
> a warning from Hypercard to install the font.
> ...  Is there a way around this, other than
> biting the bullet and installing the specified font & size?

The complaining message you get is from a script in your Home stack.
It is a Stack Script - the message handler and functions are:

	function checkHCFont theFont pointSizes
	on checkForMissingFonts

You can either hack the function or the message handler to have it
ignore the sizes. It is _your_ Home stack after all :-).

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455