[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard databases ??

jhs@hutcs.hut.fi (Juho Nikkola) (03/13/91)

Help needed (if exists):

I would like to use a relational (or semi-) database package with a
HyperCard 2.0 application. Oracle is too heavy, I have done some
experimenting with a package called HyperHIT Relational, which by far
has not been a great success.

Some time ago I saw  somebody requesting information about connecting
Foxbase with HyperCard. I would be interested in and grateful about the
results.

Any other experiences, e.g. connecting database packages or libraries
with HyperCard. db_Vista is a possible candidate, but I would rather
even buy the solution than reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance
Juho

a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar13.110221.12668@santra.uucp>, jhs@hutcs.hut.fi (Juho Nikkola) writes:

> Some time ago I saw  somebody requesting information about connecting
> Foxbase with HyperCard. I would be interested in and grateful about the
> results.
I can't see it working except with some AWFUL kludges, until System 7
comes out.

You may wish to look at Omnis - which includes a set of XCMDS that talk to
an OMNIS for Hypercard application, providing SQL-like access to OMNIS databases

> Any other experiences, e.g. connecting database packages or libraries
> with HyperCard. db_Vista is a possible candidate, but I would rather
> even buy the solution than reinvent the wheel.
I spoke to RAIMA about this and they said a client had done so but they
didn't have access to the code and weren't willing (at that time) to put
me in contact with the client. They also said the tech support for the package
was being transferred elsewhere - I don't know where this leaves db_Vista
for the Mac but the amount of Windows advertising I've seen suggests the Mac
product has been de-emphasized.

> Thanks in advance
> Juho
Andy Dent                     A.D. Software phone 09 249 2719
Mac & VAX programmer          94 Bermuda Dve, Ballajura
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz       Western Australia  6066
a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.AU (international)

John_Miller@mindlink.UUCP (John Miller) (03/24/91)

[Our feed was down for awhile.  My apologies if this information
was already posted.]
In article <1991Mar16.122004.3081@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>, Andy Dent
(a_dent@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au) writes

>In article <1991Mar13.110221.12668@santra.uucp>, jhs@hutcs.hut.fi (Juho
> Nikkola) writes:
>>
>> Some time ago I saw  somebody requesting information about
>> connecting Foxbase with HyperCard. I would be interested in and
>> grateful about the results.
> I can't see it working except with some AWFUL kludges, until
> System 7 comes out.

I remember seeing something that indicated that Dan Schafer or
somebody had written XCMDs to link HyperCard and FoxBASE, but
I don't think I've seen any ads for it.  Has anybody seen/tried/heard
of this product?  (There is something out there called
 HyperFox, but that turns out to be a hypertext add-on
for FoxPro on the PC :))

>> Any other experiences, e.g. connecting database packages
>> or libraries with HyperCard. db_Vista is a possible candidate,
>>  but I would rather even buy the solution than reinvent the wheel.
> I spoke to RAIMA about this and they said a client had done so
> but they didn't have access to the code and weren't willing
> (at that time) to put me in contact with the client. They also
> said the tech support for the package was being transferred
> elsewhere - I don't know where this leaves db_Vista for the Mac
> but the amount of Windows advertising I've seen suggests the Mac > product
has been de-emphasized.

Ajalon Corporation claims that

"Ajalon has the exclusive rights to develop and sell Raima's excellent
database technology on the Macintosh platform."

They have a XCMD product called hyper_Vista.

Mail Address:

Ajalon Corporation
26210 Pacific Highway South
Suite 334
Kent, WA 98032

Electronic Addresses:

CompuServe:         "72717,2431"
America Online:     "AJALON"
AppleLink:          "D2945"

Phone:              (206) 946-8178
                    (805) 985-7761

They have posted a demo on AppleLink, perhaps elsewhere as well.
The path is
Third Parties:3rd Party Connection
     :Software Demos:HyperCard:hyper_VISTA.

John Miller                         (604) 433-1795
Symplex Systems                     usenet:  john_miller@mindlink.uucp