[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 1.2.5 ==> HyperCard IIGS summary docs ?

John_Miller@mindlink.UUCP (John Miller) (03/21/91)

Is there a document available that gives a concise description
of the differences between HyperCard 1.2.5 and HyperCard IIGS?
(something along the lines of the HyperCard 2.0 release notes)

john_miller@mindlink.uucp
Symplex Systems

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (03/25/91)

In article <5224@mindlink.UUCP> John_Miller@mindlink.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>Is there a document available that gives a concise description
>of the differences between HyperCard 1.2.5 and HyperCard IIGS?
>(something along the lines of the HyperCard 2.0 release notes)
>
>john_miller@mindlink.uucp
>Symplex Systems

I haven't seen a Tech note on it but the "HyperCard IIGS Script Language Guide:
The HyperTalk Language" manual from Addison-Wesley states the following:

... the major areas where differences between the two environments exist:

Colour Support:

- HCGS supports colour. Colour properties can be set for most HCGS objects,
including borders of card fields, borders of background fields, field text,
borders of buttons, and button text. You can also set the colour of the
Apple IIGS screen border while in HCGS.

- The built-in paint tools also support colour. A command is available for
importing digitized colour images or pictures created with IIGS paint
programs.

Printing Support:

- Print reports using your own custom report templates.

- Supports colour printing on ImageWriter II and LQ printers.

- Allows you to arrange objects in a suitable format for custom reports.

Scripting Language:

- New commands for setting colour properties of objects, painting
properties, and printing.

- New property for buttons called the "family property".

- Additionally, many of the existing commands have been improved,
particularly the read and write commands.

Also, it talks about the difference in the display coordinate system, aspect
ratio and pixel shape.

XCMDs and XFCNs are functionally the same but they will require some
re-working to port. The HyperTalk callback and interfaces differ slightly
from Macintosh HyperTalk.

Hope that answers your question. Let me know if you need to know something
specific about it.

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

stadler@Apple.COM (Andy Stadler) (03/26/91)

In article <5224@mindlink.UUCP> John_Miller@mindlink.UUCP (John Miller) writes:

>Is there a document available that gives a concise description
>of the differences between HyperCard 1.2.5 and HyperCard IIGS?
>(something along the lines of the HyperCard 2.0 release notes)

A good reference is the Addison-Wesley book "HyperCard IIGS Script Language
Guide" (available from a bookseller near you) which contains an entire section
detailing such differences.

Andy Stadler
HyperCard IIGS Team
Apple Computer, Inc.