[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Anyone seen Unexpected Error 5454?

macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu (Kurtis MacFerrin) (03/30/91)

Hi!
	We're using Hypercard 2.0 with system 6.0.7 to maintain a chemical
inventory. It has about 2000 cards and is a little bigger than 1 MB. Recently,
when trying to execute a print report we received the message: Unexpected error
5454, after which Hypercard quit. The same thing happened when I tried to
compact the stack. Fortunately, we had a backup of an earlier version of the
stack which works correctly, so no great loss. I'm wondering, though, if
anyone is familiar with this cryptic error message. There's no mention of it
in the big Hypercard 2.0 book I have. I also saw some funny behavior when
trying to compact the corrupt stack (after 3 tries it got 160 KB larger and
the free space grew from 5K to 16K). Could this be a disk-related error or is
it due to the large size of the stack? I'd appreciate any answers, which if
necessary I will summarize to the group. Thanks.

Kurtis MacFerrin	macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu

Peter_Francis@mindlink.UUCP (Peter Francis) (03/30/91)

I have encountered this error which was generated after some problem with an
XCMD (either MakeDir which creates a folder, or FullSort which sorts several
containers in according to the results of a single container.) Like you my
stack was corrupted and I had to continue from a backup version. This was in HC
1.2. Also in HC 1.2 I had a stack which imported ascii code, modified it, then
exported it to a new file. This stack became very large and wouldn't compact. I
solved this problem by writing "domenu compact stack" at several points during
the execution of its functions.

huff@stolaf.edu (04/02/91)

In article <6216@husc6.harvard.edu> macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu (Kurtis
MacFerrin) writes:
>the free space grew from 5K to 16K). Could this be a disk-related error or is
>it due to the large size of the stack? I'd appreciate any answers, which if

I had a 5454 error wich was related to about 3 cards dissapearing from the
stack, without all the cards being renumbered.  When trying to go to one of
these cards, the 5454 error would occur.  My stack was relatively small (about
250 cards), so I don't think size mattered.

I now have this in the stack script

on startUp
  doMenu "Save a Copy..."
end startup

To make sure I get regular backups.

Anybody with a book out there that describes 5454?

-Chuck