[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Using two HyperCards

mmt@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (03/27/91)

I'm sure someone has had this problem, but I have never seen it mentioned,
so...

I have a set of stacks that I would like to keep maintaining in HC1.2.5
(because I want to distribute them to people who may not have 2.0), but
for any other work I want to use HC2.0.  So I want both versions of
Hypercard to be kept around.  The stacks in question are used with a
special Home stack containing a large amount of script, and I don't want
any other stacks to use that Home stack.  The behaviour I would like
to see is that when I double-click on one of the special set, HC1.2.5
starts up, using the special Home stack.  When I double-click a stack
made with HC2.0, HC2.0 starts up with its usual Home stack.  I cannot
achieve this differentiation.  I have tried putting the two versions of
HC on different disks, keeping all the "special" stacks along with HC1.2.5
in one folder separate from anything else ...  Whatever I do, all my
stacks open with 1.2.5 and the special Home stack, or all open with HC2.0
and the standard Home stack.  I have found that after some shuffles it
is 1,2,5 that is favoured, and after others it is 2.0 that is favoured.
I have thought of changing the creator of 1.2.5 and the special stacks,
but if I did that, I would have to change them back whenever I wanted
to distribute them--a pain.

There has to be a way of linking a stack to the version of HC that
created it, hasn't there?  I can't believe Apple would force people
with HC2.0 to convert all their stacks into a form that people without
2.0 cannot read.
--
Martin Taylor (mmt@ben.dciem.dnd.ca ...!uunet!dciem!mmt) (416) 635-2048
BUGS

ric@netcom.COM (Richard Bretscheider) (03/28/91)

mmt@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:

>I'm sure someone has had this problem, but I have never seen it mentioned,
>so...

 I did, but I surrendered to 2.0.  I'll give you some hints as to
what I did before giving up.

>I have a set of stacks that I would like to keep maintaining in HC1.2.5
>(because I want to distribute them to people who may not have 2.0), but

(Other valid and painful reasons for doing so deleted.)

>There has to be a way of linking a stack to the version of HC that
>created it, hasn't there?  I can't believe Apple would force people
>with HC2.0 to convert all their stacks into a form that people without
>2.0 cannot read.

Believe it.

Here's a trick that might help.  Keep you 1.2.5 version of HC in a
folder with its Home stack and all your 1.2.5 stacks.
Now, when you want to launch a 1.2.5 stack directly with 1.2.5 HC,
either shift-Select the 1.2.5 HC application icon and the desired
stack, or drag over both icons.  Now they should both be selected.
Press Command-O or choose Open from the file menu.  Hypercard 1.2.5
should open and open the appropriate stack.  It's a pain, but it
should work.

Like I said.  I gave up.
--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (03/28/91)

An easy solution to the "two versions" of HyperCard problem is to use
"Launch", a small Multifinder application that creates a Next-style icon bar.
The icons can be set up to open applications or desk accessories, and you
can link a document (like the appropriate Home stack or recent project stack)
so that it opens along with the application.  If this is combined with an
HFS-extension like Boomerang or ShortCut, very little functionality is lost.
_Launch is available by anonymous ftp at sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the
/info-mac/util directory.  You'll wonder how you ever got by without it ...

Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

marti@saturn.ucsc.edu (Marti Atkinson) (04/02/91)

Altho I like the suggestion of using a launcher to use two versions of
Hypercard, here's another suggestion to get around the problem.
What I did, was to create two separate volumns on my hard disk, one
with v 1.2.5. and the other with v 2.0.  That way the stacks assiocated
with each version don't get confused.

Marti Atkinson
University of Calif. at Santa Cruz
marti@saturn.ucsc.edu
marti@uccrls.BITNET
..!ucbvax!ucscc!saturn!marti

mmt@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (04/03/91)

Marti Atkinson says:

>Altho I like the suggestion of using a launcher to use two versions of
>Hypercard, here's another suggestion to get around the problem.
>What I did, was to create two separate volumns on my hard disk, one
>with v 1.2.5. and the other with v 2.0.  That way the stacks assiocated
>with each version don't get confused.

I don't see why this would work when putting the stacks and HC1.2.5 in
the same folder on one physical disk and the HC2.0 stuff on another
physical disk didn't work.  All the stacks still used the same version
of HC.