[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Are people using HyperCard 2.0?

thom@garnet.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (03/24/91)

I ask this question because as I look around Berkeley's campus, I can't find
any labs which are using it. They are still using the HC 1.x stuff for the
most part. Is this because of all the stacks from 'before'? System problems or
what?

This isn't addressed to developers.

--Thom Gillespie

mike@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Michael Kerner) (03/24/91)

I don't know about the rest of you, but there are a couple of reasons I'm not
(really) using 2.0 yet.  1) It's so damn SLOW! 2) I'd rather not convert all
the stackware I've created for our labs until we have a good next version
of 2.0.  I have enough other things to do than trying to sift my way through
a bug in the program - it's tough enough to get the actual stacks running.
3) time to learn it.  I've now got a crate of books on pre-2.0 HC that I
haven't gotten all the way through yet, and now I have another crate of books
JUST on 2.0.  4) not all the XCMD's/XFCN's have been converted yet.

Mikey
Macintosh Administrator
Weatherhead School of Management
Case Western Reserve University
mike@pyrite.som.cwru.edu

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar23.232149.8636@agate.berkeley.edu> thom@garnet.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) writes:

>I ask this question because as I look around Berkeley's campus, I can't find
>any labs which are using it. They are still using the HC 1.x stuff for the
>most part. Is this because of all the stacks from 'before'? System problems or
>what?

   I'm using it to do projects at work.  I have made the completely made the
switch from HC 1.2.x to HC 2.0v2.  I'm not concerned about being compatible
with HC 1.2.x and earlier because I control which version of HC people use
here at work.  Most of the XCMDs still work... and those that don't have either
been upgraded or are on their way to being upgraded.  HC 2.0 is a really good
environment to work in.

--
| Real Life: Mark F. Murphy         | What kinda beer do you like?           |

Adrian.Amadeo@f13.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Adrian Amadeo) (04/04/91)

---