[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Send Farther commands

krantz@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gabriel Krantz ) (04/05/91)

I am developing a user interface in HyperCard 2.0 and am creating
buttons in my scripts using the menu command "New Button." Because
the new button has the highest card button number, I figure that
after selecting the New Button with the button tool,
one send farther command will push it behind the button which
formerly had the highest card button number.  However, this does
not appear to be the case:  for one card it works fine, but for
another card two send farther commands are required -- the first
one apparently does absolutely nothing.

Does anyone know the cause of this problem or has anyone encountered
a similar situation in HyperCard?  I regularly read comp.sys.mac.hypercard
but have never seen such a problem mentioned.  Please mail responses
to me at krantz@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.

Thank you
Gabriel Krantz

essam@gagme.chi.il.us (Essam Khairullah) (04/06/91)

In article <40500@netnews.upenn.edu> krantz@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gabriel Krantz ) writes:
>I figure that after selecting the New Button with the button tool,
>one send farther command will push it behind the button which
>formerly had the highest card button number.  However, this does
>not appear to be the case:  for one card it works fine, but for
>another card two send farther commands are required -- the first
>one apparently does absolutely nothing.
>
>Thank you
>Gabriel Krantz

I believe that the problem is that send farther also includes card fields
it its list of items that it will consider to be behind the current
button.  Thus if you have a button as the first item on the card then
a field then another button, send farther will send the top button below
the field but higher than the first button.

I hope this shed some light on the subject :^)

--Essam

--

	Essam Badi' Abu Khalil Khairullah Al-Madani Al-Hussain
			  essam@gagme.chi.il.us