[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] How to test an individual pixel in Hypercard?

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (04/06/91)

I want a way in HyperCard 2.0 to test for an individual pixel's being
"on" (black) or "off" (white).  Can this be done through some HyperTalk
function?  How about an XFUN?  Is one available?  Thanks for any
information you can provide.

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (04/09/91)

In article <12664@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I want a way in HyperCard 2.0 to test for an individual pixel's being
>"on" (black) or "off" (white).  Can this be done through some HyperTalk
>function?  How about an XFUN?  Is one available?  Thanks for any
>information you can provide.

YES!  There's one of these in Developer Stack 1.2r (I think there's a
1.3r out by now).  This stack can be found at sumex (I think)  If you
don't have it, you can find it.

Anyway, the XFCN is called thePixel, it takes x,y and returns "black" or
"white".  It was written by Steve Maller of Apple computer and is FREE.
If you can't find it, you might send him email at maller@applelink.com.
I'm surprised this isn't in HC 2.0.  most of these types of X-tools were
"rolled" into the new hypercard.  Is it there but not documented?
Steve?  Kevin?  Martin?  Any of the HyperCard team members know about
this?

Jann VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com