[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Help with MapMaker 4.5

v216yef2 (Geoffrey R Wright) (04/16/91)

	I would be grateful for any assistance the network could
provide to a beginner.
	I am trying to create a "front-end" shell for MapMaker 4.5 using
HyperCard.  What I hope this means is that users would make their
selections (what boundaries and data to map, etc) in the stack.  These
choices would be written to the clipboard and then when MapMaker was
opened it would use the commands written in the tack to produce the
appropriate map.  To be able to do this I need to know a few things:
	1) is it possible to write commands to the clipboard from
	   HyperCard and if so how do you do this?
	2) I want to have users select their options with check boxes.
	   How would I make it so that boxes were checked,
	   all of the selections would be written to one file?

I am not sure if any of this is clear, if it isn't please
contact me.  Thanks, Jed Wright v216yef2@ubvms.bitnet

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (04/16/91)

In article <71048@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v216yef2@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>	I would be grateful for any assistance the network could
>provide to a beginner.
>	I am trying to create a "front-end" shell for MapMaker 4.5 using
>HyperCard.  What I hope this means is that users would make their
>selections (what boundaries and data to map, etc) in the stack.  These
>choices would be written to the clipboard and then when MapMaker was
>opened it would use the commands written in the tack to produce the
>appropriate map.  To be able to do this I need to know a few things:
>	1) is it possible to write commands to the clipboard from
>	   HyperCard and if so how do you do this?
>	2) I want to have users select their options with check boxes.
>	   How would I make it so that boxes were checked,
>	   all of the selections would be written to one file?
>

>I am not sure if any of this is clear, if it isn't please
>contact me.  Thanks, Jed Wright v216yef2@ubvms.bitnet

Ooh, ooh - Jed - can you wait a month to start on this?  This is EXACTLY
what SYSTEM 7.0 is BEST at!  There will be a command from Hypercard
to directly send commands/text/data between applications.  For some
advance help on this, contact the makers of MapMaker and see if they
will be releasing a new version that will take advantage of System 7.0
IAC (Inter Application Communication).

If you HAVE to start this now - you can put something on the clipboard
by scripting the clipboard menu pick.  For example, set up a hidden field
called "KeepStuff"

  put "commands you want to send to clipboard" into cd fld "KeepStuff"
  lock screen
  show cd fld "KeepStuff"
  select text of cd fld "KeepStuff"
  doMenu "Copy Text"
  hide cd fld "KeepStuff"
  unlock screen

The lock and unlock screen are to keep the field from flashing.

I once thought I saw a XCMD to put some text into the clipboard, but
couldn't find it a few months ago when I needed it.  Found some things
that worked with PICTs and clipboard, but no   TextToClip("my text")
Anybody out there got one?

Good Luck!

JannVanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com