[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Playing Long Sounds in Hypercard

EJN@ornl.gov (Earl Nall) (04/16/91)

A sound resource in Hypercard can only be 32K same as a field size.
However, the other night I saw an Apple salesman demonstrating a multimedia stack that  had long sounds.

I ask him how he overcame the 32K barrier and his response was that he
wasn't aware there was that barrier.

Apparently there is something I don't know.  Do I need an XCMD to branch
out and play a sound resource from a file?

Earl Nall
Oak Ridge National Lab
Internet: ejn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: ejn@ornlstc
Phone: 615/574-8689     Fax: 615/576-0099

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.113337.4880@cs.utk.edu> EJN@ornl.gov (Earl Nall) writes:
>A sound resource in Hypercard can only be 32K same as a field size.
>However, the other night I saw an Apple salesman demonstrating a multimedia stack that  had long sounds.
>
>I ask him how he overcame the 32K barrier and his response was that he
>wasn't aware there was that barrier.

I don't know the answer either. I used to "obey" the 32K limit - then
I found I could put much longer sounds into a stack, simply as
usual sound resources, to be played with the usual HyperTalk command
syntax. Perhaps the barrier was broken at some development level
within HC 1.x, and when I got the newer version, the barrier disappeared.
Anyway, I also am no longer aware of the barrier.
--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

Paul.Heller@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Paul Heller) (04/17/91)

EN> A sound resource in Hypercard can only be 32K same as a field size.
EN> However, the other night I saw an Apple salesman demonstrating a multi
EN> stack that  had long sounds.

EN> I ask him how he overcame the 32K barrier and his response was that he
EN> wasn't aware there was that barrier.

I don't think there is a 32K limit on resources - you can have PICT
resources that are several hundred K & display them via the PICTURE
xcmd, and I've had no problems recording & playing long sound segments
via the Farallon MacRecorder XCMDs other than total memory.  I've
created some multi-megabyte sound samples, and they work fine.

You may want to break long sound segments into smaller pieces anyway,
though, since large sound resources take a noticeable moment to load
into memory.  If you string together a bunch of small sound resources,
playing one after the next, they'll pay seamlessly and you won't get
any pauses from disk-reading.

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421)

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (04/19/91)

Earl Nall writes in a message to All

EN> A sound resource in Hypercard can only be 32K same as a field
EN> size. However, the other night I saw an Apple salesman demonstrating
EN> a multimedia stack that had long sounds. I ask him how he overcame
EN> the 32K barrier and his response was that he wasn't aware there
EN> was that barrier. Apparently there is something I don't know.
EN> Do I need an XCMD to branch out and play a sound resource from
EN> a file?

Why would there be a limit of 32K for a snd resource?  The limitation in field size makes sense as you have to access the text as offsets from the beginning of the field but I don't see any reason for limiting sounds this way and don't recall ever seeing such a limitation in print.

eallen@mercury.sybase.com (Ed Allen) (04/23/91)

In article <672033604.3@mmug.mn.org> Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) writes:

>Earl Nall writes in a message to All
>
>EN> A sound resource in Hypercard can only be 32K same as a field
>EN> size. However, the other night I saw an Apple salesman demonstrating
>EN> a multimedia stack that had long sounds. I ask him how he overcame
>EN> the 32K barrier and his response was that he wasn't aware there
>EN> was that barrier. Apparently there is something I don't know.
>EN> Do I need an XCMD to branch out and play a sound resource from
>EN> a file?
>
>Why would there be a limit of 32K for a snd resource?  The limitation in field size makes sense as you have to access the text as offsets from the beginning of the field but I don't see any reason for limiting sounds this way and don't recall ever seeing
>such a limitation in print.

There is no 32K limits on snd resource lengths for HyperCard playback.
I have played much bigger sounds.  The real limit comes with the amount
of memory HyperCard has to load the sound.  If the sound is too big, as
often happens on a 1 meg machine with any inits, etc., it just doesn't
play.  If you want to play a really big sound you can dice it up
into separate resources and by using sequnetial naming or IDs  play the whole
sound via a loop.  A friend of mine has played music that lasts for several
minutes using this trick.  Eats a lot of disk space to keep the stack around,
though.  I forget whether you need to have a "wait until the sound is 'done'"
line after the play command to make this play seamlessly or not.

Using a CD for the source of sound for digitizing such long chunked sounds
is very helpful in getting the segments to match if you have to digitize
in parts because of memory limitations.

Ed Allen  eallen@sybase.com