[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Boolean Searches

Jonathan.Ashwell@p911.f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Jonathan Ashwell) (04/22/91)

The ability to globally Mark cards by finding... is a great way to do
boolean OR searches, but I can't figure out an elegant way to make it
work for AND searches. If there are multiple items to search for,
simply doing a repetitive "mark cds by finding "foo" " (and then foo1,
foo2, etc) will make a list of all cds that have any of the items. Is
there a simple way to mark only the cards that have ALL of the items?
      The only solution I have come up with is to mark all cards that
have the first item, then go to each marked card and do a manual-type of
search for all the rest in that card, and unmark a card if the rest of the
words are not found.
      Also, is there a way of marking cards where something is NOT
found? Something like: "mark cards by NOT finding "foo" ".

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)

Henry.Halff@p911.f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Henry Halff) (04/23/91)

>      Also, is there a way of marking cards where something is NOT
>found? Something like: "mark cards by NOT finding "foo" ".

mark all cards
unmark cards by finding "foo"

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (04/23/91)

>Is there a simple way to mark only the cards that have ALL of the items?

If you do a standard HyperCard "Find" on a multiple-word string, it
finds only cards that contain *all* those words.  If you then "mark"
the found cards, that should answer your need.

Ralph Lombreglia
ralph@world.std.com
MCI Mail & BIX: rlombreglia