[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Stack Compaction and large distributions

hashem@aludra.usc.edu (BaSiL hAsHeM) (04/11/91)

Dear n-ether-lan-ders,

1. What exactly does File menu command "Compact Stack" do?  What is compacted?

2. I'm designing a stack with lots of sounds in it.  I've used a 4:1
compression to try and save space, does anyone have other suggestions to help
reduce the size of the stack without sacrificing any more sound quality?

3. What are some techniques that some of you have used to distribute a multi-
disk stack?  Supposing that the end-users don't have (or don't deal with)
StuffIt/Compactor/etc...  Is HDBackup is only appropriate choice?  Just
collecting before I going off to code it up myself.

Pre-thanks,

--

       Basil Hashem               "So watcha gonna do when ya grow up, son?"
       Jet Propulsion Laboratory          University of Southern California

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (04/16/91)

In article <16495@chaph.usc.edu> hashem@usc.edu (Basil Hashem) writes:
>Dear n-ether-lan-ders,
>
>1. What exactly does File menu command "Compact Stack" do?  What is compacted?
Deleted objects leave "holes" in the file.  Especially fields that have
been deleted.  I have noticed that deleting resources does not change
the "freesize", therefore doesn't have to be compacted.

btw, make sure you have as much disk space available as the size of the
stack before you compact.

>2. I'm designing a stack with lots of sounds in it.  I've used a 4:1
>compression to try and save space, does anyone have other suggestions to help
>reduce the size of the stack without sacrificing any more sound quality?
Don't know

>3. What are some techniques that some of you have used to distribute a multi-
>disk stack?  Supposing that the end-users don't have (or don't deal with)
>StuffIt/Compactor/etc...  Is HDBackup is only appropriate choice?  Just
>collecting before I going off to code it up myself.

Both Stuffit and Compactor have a capability to build self-extracting
archives, ie. the end users don't need nothin' but a mac.  These are the
ONLY appropriate choices.  I've never seen anything useful in any other
form.

The accepted form for documentation is some type of PLAIN TEXT file -
preferably named README, ideally a TeachText file.

So -- what's in these stacks?  Give us a preview-description-sales
pitch!

>Pre-thanks,

Pre-welcome    -- have fun!

Jann E VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com

tvex@milton.u.washington.edu (t@vex) (04/17/91)

In article <45267@bcsaic.UUCP> vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) writes:
>In article <16495@chaph.usc.edu> hashem@usc.edu (Basil Hashem) writes:
>>
>>3. What are some techniques that some of you have used to distribute a multi-
>>disk stack?  Supposing that the end-users don't have (or don't deal with)
>>StuffIt/Compactor/etc...  Is HDBackup is only appropriate choice?  Just
>>collecting before I going off to code it up myself.
>
>Both Stuffit and Compactor have a capability to build self-extracting
>form.
>(text munged but this is in reference to  a question about documentation)
preferably named README, ideally a TeachText file.

In fact, the StuffIt Deluxe package from Aladdin (folks Ray Lau is now working
with) includes a couple of XCMNDs that allow the user to unstuff files from
within HyperCard. Here's an idea: why not make a clean sweep and stuff the
large files but provide your on-disk documentation in a HyperCard stack which
also serves as an "installer" (of sorts) for your distribution? That way, you
and the user would only need HyperCard and enough room on their hard drive. Thisalternative might give you even more control over your interface--just a
and all the user would need would be HyperCard and her hard dri
thought.

In reference to the sound question: I have also used Farallon's MacRecorder,
and have found their FPlay XCMNDs helpful, but one of the critical things
here is the amount of available memory and (in my case, anyway) how much
RAM the user has allocated to HyperCard from the finder when operating under
multifinder. The sounds, when queued in an FPlay sequence, do not necessarily
run seemlessly. (what a mouthful) I found that I had to make extensive use,
on a product that was designed to run on 4 megs or better with an average sample
size of 800k, of the handler "wait until Fsound() is done". Just another
thought, and good luck.

t@vex
from low on the banks of elliot bay we sit and await the coming of evening.

tom@wcc.oz.au (Tom Evans) (04/18/91)

In article <16495@chaph.usc.edu>, hashem@aludra.usc.edu (BaSiL hAsHeM) writes:
> Dear n-ether-lan-ders,
>
> 1. What exactly does File menu command "Compact Stack" do?  What is compacted?

Garbage collection. Throws out all the waste space that collects in HC
stacks. I only wish that MicroSoft Word had the same function :-).

> 3. What are some techniques that some of you have used to distribute a multi-
> disk stack? ...  Is HDBackup is only appropriate choice?

A most inappropriate choice. HDBackup has been discontinued by Apple
as of System 6.0.5, so...

========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179  A.C.N. 004 818 455

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (04/19/91)

Basil hashem writes in a message to All

BH> 1. What exactly does File menu command "Compact Stack" do? What
BH> is compacted?

When you add and delete cards and do other manipulations of your stacks, they will grow even though some of the space in the stack is free.  You can see how much free space is in a stack by getting the Stack Info.  Compact Stack removes the free space.

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (04/23/91)

>Garbage collection. Throws out all the waste space that collects in HC
>stacks. I only wish that MicroSoft Word had the same function :-).

It does.  If you disable "Fast Save" in MS Word 4.0, it rewrites files
to disk without the "free space" incurred by Fast Save.  It's quite
similar to compacting a stack, actually.  You can use MS Word's
"Command" dialog to install "Fast Save" on one of your menus, and then
simply uncheck it so that your docs will never save in the "inflated"
form.

Ralph Lombreglia
----------------
ralph@world.std.com
MCI Mail & BIX: rlombreglia

paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) (04/23/91)

>>Garbage collection. Throws out all the waste space that collects in HC
>>stacks. I only wish that MicroSoft Word had the same function :-).
>
>It does.  If you disable "Fast Save" in MS Word 4.0, it rewrites files
>to disk without the "free space" incurred by Fast Save.  It's quite
>similar to compacting a stack, actually.  You can use MS Word's
>"Command" dialog to install "Fast Save" on one of your menus, and then
>simply uncheck it so that your docs will never save in the "inflated"
>form.

Yes, but it also slows down the process greatly if you are on a low end mac.
I work with 40 pages documents and I prefer to save them as FAST SAVE
until they are completed.  When I choose to save them the long way, it can
easily take 20-30 seconds. This is OK when you are finishing up, but when you
are saving every 10-15 minutes, it is a pain. By the way, the fast save
only takes 3-4 seconds on the same document.

				Nuno

--
*----------------------*---------------------------*------------------------*
|    Nuno M. Paixao    |    paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca    |    dexter@ac.dal.ca    |

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (04/23/91)

I'd happily use Word 4.0's Fast Save if the increased file size were
the only problem with it.  Unfortunately, Fast Save-format files are
not all that easy to recover after a disk crash, while "normally"
saved files can usually be recovered fairly easily after a software
crash.

(I learned this the hard way...)
 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu)           *  I hear, and I forget.
Rochester General Hospital/Radiology     *  I see, and I remember.

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (04/23/91)

>Unfortunately, Fast Save-format files [in MS Word] are
>not all that easy to recover after a disk crash...

Right you are.  Not only that, I (and others) have had problems with
MS Word's "Fast Save" actually corrupting the structure of very large
documents.  I permanently turned off "Fast Save" a long time ago.
It's true, as someone complains, that the save times are longer, but
compacting a HyperCard stack takes time too.  You can't have
everything.  At least not right now.

Ralph Lombreglia
ralph@world.std.com
MCI Mail & BIX: rlombreglia