[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard 2.1 info, please.

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (04/19/91)

So who's got the good rumors (or, god forbid, facts) about HC 2.1?
Apple Events support, perhaps? I have been playing around with the
Help Balloon feature in System 7 and think it would be great in HC.
And easy too, right? Every object dialog has a check box for balloon
help (next to auto highlight, etc.) and a button to bring up the
editor for the balloon contents. I can't wait!

Len
| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (04/20/91)

Does anyone have a HelpBalloon XCMD for HyperCard 2.0.1, or shall I
write one?

					- David

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (04/25/91)

In article <SAAF.91Apr19114818@joker.optics.rochester.edu> saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) writes:
>So who's got the good rumors (or, god forbid, facts) about HC 2.1?
>Apple Events support, perhaps? I have been playing around with the
>Help Balloon feature in System 7 and think it would be great in HC.
>And easy too, right? Every object dialog has a check box for balloon
>help (next to auto highlight, etc.) and a button to bring up the
>editor for the balloon contents. I can't wait!

   Plenty of good rumors... but I can't mention any of them on the net!  But,
if the rumors turn out to be true, it should be a *REAL* suprise to people.
It was to me when I heard about it.  I think HC will slowly pick away at
any difference between it and SuperCard.  Bye bye SC!

--
+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Real Life: Mark F. Murphy         | What kinda beer do you like?           |

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.163751.5724@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:
>   Plenty of good rumors... but I can't mention any of them on the net!  But,
>if the rumors turn out to be true, it should be a *REAL* suprise to people.
>It was to me when I heard about it.  I think HC will slowly pick away at
>any difference between it and SuperCard.  Bye bye SC!

If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were suggesting that all color
capabilities will be included in HC 2.1....hmmmmmm, what do YOU think? :)
(P.S., I really don't know...I haven't heard any 2.1 rumors)

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (04/27/91)

In article <2559@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.163751.5724@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:
>>   Plenty of good rumors... but I can't mention any of them on the net!  But,
>>if the rumors turn out to be true, it should be a *REAL* suprise to people.
>>It was to me when I heard about it.  I think HC will slowly pick away at
>>any difference between it and SuperCard.  Bye bye SC!
>
>If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were suggesting that all color
>capabilities will be included in HC 2.1....hmmmmmm, what do YOU think? :)
>(P.S., I really don't know...I haven't heard any 2.1 rumors)

well I HAVE seen 2.1 and, as I've posted here before, the main
enhancements are to do "System 7" type stuff.  (interprocess
communication)  What other rumors was the first poster talking about?

PS.  I use Hypercard AND SuperCard for different applications.

SuperCard handles multiple, large windows gracefully - both in scripting
and memory usage (ie. few bombs).  It has object-oriented graphics that
can have scripts attached.  The way menus are handled in SC is much more
intuitive.  SC can create a standalone application.

Hypercard (2.X) has wonderful text handling capabilities.  It has a wide
base of distribution ( .. um, well, HC 1.X did - we'll get there with
version 2).  There's lots of training (books, hands-on, tutorials)
available for it.  It runs MUCH faster on my MacPlus (at home) than SC
(I don't use SuperCard for ANYTHING at home.  Tried it on a Plus and
decided it wasn't worth buying -- DOG SLOW).  And - this is important in
my company - it is Apple.  Exec-types are always happier buying right
from the company they buy the hardware from. (I think that's a leftover
from Mainframe IBM days, but I know I'm prejudiced).

-- Standard disclaimers -- I don't work for or get money from any of
these companies.*  I use both these products - heavily.

Jann "HC AND SC" VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com

* My brother's marrying a lady that works at Apple, does that count as
  conflict of interest?  ;-)   (Everybody at apple, say hi to Barb
  Hudson - she'll be Barb VanOver after August!)

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (04/30/91)

In article <2559@lee.SEAS.UCLA.EDU> weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.163751.5724@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:
>>   Plenty of good rumors... but I can't mention any of them on the net!  But,
>>if the rumors turn out to be true, it should be a *REAL* suprise to people.
>>It was to me when I heard about it.  I think HC will slowly pick away at
>>any difference between it and SuperCard.  Bye bye SC!
>
>If I didn't know better, I'd say that you were suggesting that all color
>capabilities will be included in HC 2.1....hmmmmmm, what do YOU think? :)
Well... from what I've heard, color is something Claris will be adding
eventually... fbut for 2.1!?  Who knows... we'll soon see what, if any,
color will be in 2.1