[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 'magic' command

fcoll@maths.tcd.ie (Francis Coll) (04/19/91)

Could somebody explain how to get access to all user levels on the
Hypercard shipped with new macs (using the magic command).  I tried
it in the massage box, but got the usual 'cannot understand' reply.

Thanks.

--------------

fcoll@maths.tcd.ie

--------------

fcoll@maths.tcd.ie (Francis Coll) (04/19/91)

OOOOps!  In my last posting, please substitute message for massage :-)

-------------

fcoll@maths.tcd.ie

-------------

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.075022.1189@maths.tcd.ie> fcoll@maths.tcd.ie (Francis Coll) writes:
>Could somebody explain how to get access to all user levels on the
>Hypercard shipped with new macs (using the magic command).  I tried
>it in the massage box, but got the usual 'cannot understand' reply.

Go to the last card in the Home stack and type "magic" and return
in the message window. Or, type "set the userlevel to 5" and return
in the message box of any stack, to gain access to the top user
level.
--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *

wnn@ornl.gov (04/23/91)

Coll) writes:
>Could somebody explain how to get access to all user levels on the
>Hypercard shipped with new macs (using the magic command).  I tried
>it in the massage box, but got the usual 'cannot understand' reply.

It's case sensitive. Needs to be in upper case.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (OrchidFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (04/23/91)

>>Could somebody explain how to get access to all user levels on the
>>Hypercard shipped with new macs (using the magic command).  I tried
>>it in the message box, but got the usual 'cannot understand' reply.
>
>It's case sensitive. Needs to be in upper case.

Nope.  I just tried it, and "magic" and "mAgIc" both work, among
other combinations.  However, you must be at the card
"Preferences" card for this handler to work.

This is with a 2.0 release of Hypercard copied off of a master
disk, so unless they made it deliberately less easy in the
maintenance release, the problem is probably that the
"Preferences" card is not showing when you try other tests.

Here's the entire script:
on magic
  if visible of cd btn id 79 then
    hide cd btn id 79
    hide cd btn id 80
  else
    show cd btn id 79
    show cd btn id 80
  end if
end magic

Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org (Harry Myhre) (04/26/91)

Francis Coll writes in a message to All on 24 Apr 91

FC> Could somebody explain how to get access to all user levels on
FC> the Hypercard shipped with new macs (using the magic command).

This sure has caused a lot of confusion. Hope I get this right:

1) go to the preferences card of your home stack.
2) make the message box visible (command - m)
3) type "set the userlevel to 5" into the message box and press <enter>.

That should do it. There may be some fields or buttons obscuring the other userlevel
buttons on the preferences card. You should now be able to remove them.

--
: Harry Myhre - via FidoNet node 1:102/851 (818)352-2993
: ARPA/INTERNET: Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org

tvex@milton.u.washington.edu (t@vex) (04/30/91)

In article <283.2819CAE3@mcws.fidonet.org> Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org (Harry Myhre) writes:

>Francis Coll writes in a message to All on 24 Apr 91
>
>FC> Could somebody explain how to get access to all user levels on
>FC> the Hypercard shipped with new macs (using the magic command).
>
>This sure has caused a lot of confusion. Hope I get this right:
>
>1) go to the preferences card of your home stack.
>2) make the message box visible (command - m)
>3) type "set the userlevel to 5" into the message box and press <enter>.
>
>buttons on the preferences card. You should now be able to remove them.

This usually works for me. One more thing, though. Unless there are specific
traps built into a stack's script that prohibit or interfere with normal
message hierarchies, you should be able to invoke this command from anywhere,
in any stack, and if you have "blind typing" set to "true" on the same card
that Harry mentions, you should be able to do it without even calling up the
message box. If, for example, the userLevel is set to "painting" (whatever
the numerical equivalent of that is) and you need to get at a stack script to
make a minor change, you can change the userLevel, edit your script, and then
not worry about it. If the preferences card says something different than what
you specified in your "set userLevel to [1-5]", the userLevel will revert to
that specified on the preferences card next time you open the stack. I have seenthose little "cheater" fields or buttons that cover some of the userLevel stuff
on the preferences card of some institutional home stacks where the netOps
didn't want people to inadvertantly wipe scripts and so forth--it's a poor
protection scheme, but can help to prevent accidents.

cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) (05/02/91)

When I received the HyperCard kit in my Mac, I didn't think to use the
HyperTalk message to reset the user level. I slid the button on the User
Preference card (the pointer to the user level) up, beyond the 2nd position.
It dissapeared under the bogus button, but I moved its 'virtual' position
until it was approximately at the five, then I let go.

It worked.

- Gary Goldberg
Census Bureau
AOL: OgGreeb