[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] disposing of global var's???

hughson@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Jerry R Hughson) (05/05/91)

Hello,
	I am creating a program that makes use of several globals.  The
globals are long and don't hang around too long.  I know i can put empty into
them at the end to avoid storing the data, but is there a way to make
HyperCard (2.0 of course) forget them?  I couldn't find any thing in the
manual except how to create/reuse globals.  Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance (as usual!)

J.R.
or just
hughson@cis.ohio-state.edu or jhughson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (05/06/91)

In article <9105042346.AA04949@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu>, hughson@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Jerry R Hughson) writes:
> Hello,
> 	I am creating a program that makes use of several globals.  The
> globals are long and don't hang around too long.  I know i can put empty into
> them at the end to avoid storing the data, but is there a way to make
> HyperCard (2.0 of course) forget them?  I couldn't find any thing in the
> manual except how to create/reuse globals.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks much in advance (as usual!)
>
> J.R.
> or just
> hughson@cis.ohio-state.edu or jhughson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Here's what you are after.
From the Stack Description:

                          GlobalMaster stack

                          by Frdric RINALDI

   This stack contains two XCMDs which allow to easily purge all global
   variables created by the stack. They work only with HyperCard 2.0.

                      SaveCurrentGlobals 1.0

DESCRIPTION
------------
   SaveCurrentGlobals saves the list of current active globals.

   SaveCurrentGlobals must appear in the "on openStack" handler before
   any global variable setting.
   The XCMD creates a global named GlobalVarsList which will be used
   later by ClearStackGlobals XCMD.

                      ClearStackGlobals 1.0

DESCRIPTION
------------
   ClearStackGlobals purges all global variables created since call
   to SaveStackGlobals.

I haven't used these myself yet, so I can't vouch for them.

Neale

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (05/06/91)

 In a previous post I describe the XCMD's from Rinaldi:

Sorry, I meant to add that I don't know where you can get these from.
I got them from a friend. I could possibly mail them, or post them
to comp.binaries.mac if there is a demand.

Neale

PS Does anyone have the latest version of Rinaldi's "Textoid". The one
I have is 1.8, but I hear there is a 2.1?? out there somewhere.