[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Problems

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (05/07/91)

In the spirit of recent threads discussing strategies for
peaceful coexistence of 2.0 and 1.2.5 (IMO, best strategy uses
Michael Libes' _Launch utility),  I have done limited testing
of HC 1.2.5 under System 7, taking the precaution of turning the
sound off first.  So far, I haven't run into any problems.
I even turned the sound back on and typed "play boing" into
the message box repeatedly.

My only concern is to conveniently retain the ability to
write or tweak HC 1.2.5 stacks without converting or using
the commercial conversion utility recently introduced by
Heizer.  Where's the beef?  ( Or, what am I missing? )

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (05/08/91)

In article <52801@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes...
>My only concern is to conveniently retain the ability to
>write or tweak HC 1.2.5 stacks without converting ...

Good news regarding System 7 and HC 1.2.5 -- although 1.2.5 is
_unsupported_ under 7.0, the new system does include a "tweak"
that makes it more stable under 7.0 than 6.0.7.

This is from a mail message, and I hope no one objects ...
sounds more official when attributed to Kevin:

Kevin Calhoun writes unofficially:

>Therefore, System 7.0 and HyperCard 1.2.5 work together better
>than System 6.0.7 and HyperCard 1.2.5 do.

>You'll notice that when you run 1.2.5 under 7.0, the menubar
>flashes whenever there's a sysbeep, no matter what the volume
>is set to -- that's the side effect of the tweak that makes
>things work.

>There are still a number of problems with HC 1.2.5 under 7.0 --
>it hasn't been adequately tested under 7.0, for one thing, and
>it isn't officially supported.  We know that it will crash in
>32-bit mode, for instance.

Can't resist the obvious (tongue firmly in cheek) thanks to
the Apple ROMS people for making sure that I never need to
worry about this with my SE/30!   System 7 is polite enough
not to present the option of 32-bit mode to CPUs without 32-bit
clean ROMs  ;-) ...

>But if all you need to do is to run it occasionally to work
>with some 1.x stacks, you should be OK.

That's plenty.  HyperCard 2.0 and System 7 have alot in common;
I intended to installed each as a "forward compatibility" contingency,
but found that the improvements were so great that I got hooked.
All I'd like to do is continue to support 1.2.5 stuff without
rebooting.  Thanks to the both the hyper people and the blue meanies
for making this work out -- nice job!

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)