[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hyper Mystery

kunau@eiger.cray.com (Tim Kunau) (05/08/91)

A question has been posed to the Mini'app'les MUG and I'd like
to know if anyone else has an answer. What follows is the text of
the question as it appears in this month's newsletter:
--

	Hyper Mystery - by Peter Fleck

  The new HyperCard features slicker stack and card designs
  than the old one. An example is the Home Card with its neat
  navigation buttons across the bottom of the card.

  I decided to add similar buttons to a stack I was creating and
  began looking for the scripting that controls the hiliting of
  these buttons as you travel from card to card in the Home stack.
  I used the new debugger, setting a debugging check point in one
  of the button scripts and then using the Step Into command which
  follows the message path to wherever the current handler is
  running. The navigation buttons only have "go" commands in their
  scripts so I thought there must be an openCard or closeCard
  message handler lurking on some level which would adjust the
  hilites. What I discovered was that there is no command for
  setting those hilites!

  Who/What sets the hilites for the navigation buttons?

--
Now I'm curious. I've posted this mystery to several local
BBSs without an answer. Does anyone out in netland have the

Please E-mail or post.

Thanks,

Tim
| Timothy M. Kunau                              Cray Research Inc.   |
| E-mail: kunau@cray.com                        655E Lone Oak Dr.    |
| AT&T:   +1 612/6833649                        Eagan, MN USA 55121  |

martin@csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) (05/08/91)

In article <142454.21886@timbuk.cray.com> kunau@eiger.cray.com (Tim Kunau) writes:

>	Hyper Mystery - by Peter Fleck
>
>  The new HyperCard features slicker stack and card designs
>  than the old one. An example is the Home Card with its neat
>  navigation buttons across the bottom of the card.
>
>  Who/What sets the hilites for the navigation buttons?
>
>--
>Now I'm curious. I've posted this mystery to several local
>BBSs without an answer. Does anyone out in netland have the
>answer?

If you look at the properties for these buttons you will notice that
the "shared hilite" property is false.  This means that each button
can have its hilite unique to each card.  Nobody has to set them, they
were set once for each card and stay that way.

--
Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
The opinions in this    ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (05/09/91)

(Tim Kunau) writes:

>       Hyper Mystery - by Peter Fleck
>
>  The new HyperCard features slicker stack and card designs
>  than the old one. An example is the Home Card with its neat
>  navigation buttons across the bottom of the card.
>
>  I decided to add similar buttons to a stack I was creating and
>  began looking for the scripting that controls the hiliting of
>  these buttons as you travel from card to card in the Home stack.
>
>  What I discovered was that there is no command for setting those
>  hilites!
>
>  Who/What sets the hilites for the navigation buttons?

I passed this along to Robin Shank, who was the chief stack designer for
HyperCard 2.0.  Here's her answer:

"Actually, the hilite states of the buttons along the bottom of the
2.0 Home stack do not need to be set on open/close card. They're bkgnd
buttons with sharedHilite FALSE, with the hilite of each button true only
on it's corresponding card.   Originally there were scripts to hilite the
buttons on openCard and closecard, but when we got the sharedHilite property,
it eliminated the need to do that - the buttons stay hilited independently
all the time with no need to script them.  SharedHilite is useful for
things other than radio buttons and check boxes."

Kevin Calhoun
jkc@apple.com

fwb@pollux.tmc.edu (Fred Brehm) (05/09/91)

In article <142454.21886@timbuk.cray.com> kunau@eiger.cray.com (Tim Kunau) writes:

>A question has been posed to the Mini'app'les MUG and I'd like
>to know if anyone else has an answer. What follows is the text of
>the question as it appears in this month's newsletter:
>--
>
>	Hyper Mystery - by Peter Fleck

>  Who/What sets the hilites for the navigation buttons?

The buttons are bg buttons with sharedHilite = false. The hilite
is set when the card is created and then it stays associated with
the card. There is a handler in the bg script named "setCardName"
that sets the hilite of bg btn curCard to true only if curCard <= 5.

Fred

--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	...!princeton!siemens!demon!fwb