[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Finding HOME in HC2.0

wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (William T. Bridgman) (05/04/91)

Last night I finally installed HyperCard 2.0 on my SE/30.
Apparently since I still had version 1.2.2 out there, the
installer created a new folder entitled New HyperCard Folder.

However, I like to have my major applications (like HyperCard)
on the Desktop.  When I moved HC2.0 to the Desktop and click on
the application, I wind up with a dialog box asking where the
HOME stack is.

How do I tell the HyperCard application that the HOME stack is in
a specific folder so I don't have to go through this?  Setting
it in the pathways card doesn't work since that is located in
the HOME stack.  Is there another way around this problem?

|  William T. "Tom" Bridgman, M.S.   | wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu     |
|  Department of Physics & Astronomy |                                |
|  Clemson University                |"Black Holes under Construction.|
|  Clemson, SC   29634               |       WATCH YOUR STEP!"        |

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.184816.5088@hubcap.clemson.edu> wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu
(William T. Bridgman) writes:

>How do I tell the HyperCard application that the HOME stack is in
>a specific folder so I don't have to go through this?  Setting
>it in the pathways card doesn't work since that is located in
>the HOME stack.  Is there another way around this problem?

HyperCard 2.0 first checks whether the stack that was opened from
the Finder is the Home stack.  If it isn't, HyperCard 2.0 looks for
the Home stack in the following places, in the following order:

1) the System Folder
2) the same folder as a stack that was opened from the Finder, if
   there was one
3) the same folder as HyperCard itself
4) a folder called "HyperCard Stacks" that's in the same folder as
   HyperCard
5) the root directory of the same volume as HyperCard itself (HC
   1.x doesn't look here)

HyperCard 2.1 will look in one more place, if it's running under
System 7.0 --

6) the Desktop Folder that's on the same volume as HyperCard

If Home isn't in any of the places HyperCard checks, it will put
up the dialog to ask the user where to find it.

You can change the name of the folder HyperCard checks in step 4,
if you're willing to mess with ResEdit.  Look in STR# 128, string
number 18.  This is the partial pathname, relative to the folder
HyperCard itself is in, of the folder HyperCard will check.

Kevin Calhoun
jkc@apple.com OR calhoun.k@applelink.apple.com

fwb@pollux.tmc.edu (Fred Brehm) (05/06/91)

William T. Bridgman writes:
>However, I like to have my major applications (like HyperCard)
>on the Desktop.  When I moved HC2.0 to the Desktop and click on
>the application, I wind up with a dialog box asking where the
>HOME stack is.

Try putting HC2.0 back where it was and put the Home stack on the desktop.

Fred
--
Frederic W. Brehm	Siemens Corporate Research	Princeton, NJ
fwb@demon.siemens.com	-or-	...!princeton!siemens!demon!fwb

Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org (Harry Myhre) (05/10/91)

William T. Bridgman writes in a message to All on 08 May 91

WTB> However, I like to have my major applications (like HyperCard)
WTB> on the Desktop. When I moved HC2.0 to the Desktop and click on
WTB> the application, I wind up with a dialog box asking where the
WTB> HOME stack is.

Hi William,  I have *HyperCard* in a folder and the *Home* stack out on the
desktop. Works great.

--
: Harry Myhre - via FidoNet node 1:102/851 (818)352-2993
: ARPA/INTERNET: Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org