[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HYPERCARD INFORMATION, PLEASE.

chuong@nprdc.navy.mil (Stephanie Chuong) (05/04/91)

      Hi! My name is Stephanie.  I am a new Hypertalk programmer. I
 am preparing to write a program with Hypertalk. The program will
read the charaters which are entered by the user from the keyboard.
Next, it will calculate the time and the key strokes from the
moment the user enters the first letter until the returned key or
whatever key the hypertalk regonizes it as a signal end of text
file.

	I have tried several ways to do it. It works. However, it
only works when I place the text field by the "TYPE" command. In
other words, it can not read the charaters directly from the keyboard.
I am sure it should have a way to do it. I read through the
programming handbook, and found the commands "READ" and "WRITE". I
am not sure it will do the job. I am trying now. Any help would be
greatly appreciate.

					Stephanie Chuong.

news@nprdc.navy.mil (news) (05/09/91)

Howerver, some of the features that we want from the
Hypercard/Talk are not available in the Version 1.2. We are
thinking to order Version 2.0.  While we are waiting for the order,
we wonder if any one who has this Version 2.0 (HYPERCARD/TALK) that
we can make a copy to continue our works.  Please, call or send
e-mail to us if you can help.

	My userid is: chuong
	      phone : 57668  (Bldg 321, Rm 108)
From: chuong@nprdc.navy.mil (Stephanie Chuong)

			Thank you so much in advance!

				Stephanie Chuong.

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (05/09/91)

     Reading the keyboard from HyperTalk can be accomplished by defining
a handler for "keyDown" messages.  Like this.

	on keyDown ch
	end keyDown

This will be called for every key pressed, and "ch" will contain the
value from the key.  It's entirely up to your script to do something
with the input, so putting a "pass keyDown ch" at the end of the
script, so that regular keyboard operations will still work, is good.
Then you can time anything you want without interfering with normal
typing.

					John Nagle

Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org (Harry Myhre) (05/10/91)

Stephanie Chuong writes in a message to All on 08 May 91

SC>  Hi! My name is Stephanie. I am a new Hypertalk programmer. I
SC>  am preparing to write a program with Hypertalk. The program
SC> will read the charaters which are entered by the user from the
SC> keyboard.

Type this into the message box:

hypertalk keydown

and HyperCard will find help about the keydown system message in the HyperTalk
Help stack (provided it's somewhere on your disk). I think this message is new
to HC 2.0

--
: Harry Myhre - via FidoNet node 1:102/851 (818)352-2993
: ARPA/INTERNET: Harry.Myhre@p2.f863.n102.z1.fidonet.org