[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard 2.1 - the beginning of the end

dak@bismarck.mips.com (Dave Kearney) (05/17/91)

I thouht I was clever... when hypercard 2.0 arrived late last fall I quickly
called up BMUG and ordered my floppies.  $15 and I was set.  Now with 2.1
almost out, it appears that all of our fears are starting to become true.

Hypercard  is no longer available through user groups...  With Hypercard 2.1
Claris has closed that channel down.

... pause to let that sink in...

The "easiest" way to get Hypercard now is to purchase it from claris... it's
so simple... yahoo

oh yeah... there's another way... if I "buy" system 7.0 from a dealer , hypercard comes
with it...  but not if I purchase 7.0 from a user group.

I suppose if I purchased a new mac in the last 6 months my upgrade would
be for "free"...  but I haven't so it isn't.

I just have one question...  If I want to create a Hypercard stack using 2.1 (assuming I purchase 2.1)
that I want to pass around my company, does everyone  that wants to access that stack have to purchase
2.1?

There was a whole lot of yelling and screaming last fall about Apple and Claris closing down the channels
for Hypercard.  A lot of people said "wait and see... and trust us..." .  Now I can see the beginning
of all of those nasty predictions coming true...

--
David A. Kearney                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
mips.com    950 DeGuigne Dr.    Sunnyvale, CA  94086   +1 408 524-7025

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (05/17/91)

In article <3586@spim.mips.COM> dak@bismarck.mips.com (Dave Kearney) writes:

>There was a whole lot of yelling and screaming last fall about Apple
>and Claris closing down the channels for Hypercard.  A lot of people
>said "wait and see... and trust us..." .  Now I can see the beginning
>of all of those nasty predictions coming true...

I'd say that you can only "wait and see" if those nasty predictions
come true. At the risk of offending the Apple groupies...  I'd also
say that you should never trust Apple. They are corporate entity whose
sole purpose is to make money. Any thing you heard about them being
anything more than that was sales hype.

(Note, there are decent, hard-working, well-meaning people working at
Apple. But, their good intentions mean nothing unless they are in
positions of power. If they feel offended by my remarks, then they
have a lot of growing up to do.)

--

Stephen Kurtzman             | "love is a minor chord; love is a mental ward;"
kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu      |  love is a drawn sword; love is its own reward."

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (05/17/91)

In article <3586@spim.mips.COM> dak@bismarck.mips.com (Dave Kearney) writes:
>I just have one question...  If I want to create a Hypercard stack using 2.1
>(assuming I purchase 2.1) that I want to pass around my company, does everyone
>that wants to access that stack have to purchase 2.1?

No.  Stacks that you create with HyperCard 2.1 can be open and run by HyperCard
2.0.

However, if your stack relies on any of the new features of 2.1, such as "send
to program", "request from program", or "the itemDelimiter", it won't work
fully or properly under 2.0.  If it's written well it will check "the version
of HyperCard" and do something sensible, such as display a dialog that informs
the user that it requires HyperCard 2.1.

Kevin Calhoun
jkc@apple.com