[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] fonts in stacks

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (05/12/91)

In article <12659@sybase.sybase.com> eallen@mercury.UUCP (Ed Allen) writes:

>the use of paint tools, and while we have been installing custom fonts in stacks
>for awhile, Apple DTS says this is a no-no and will break in System 7 and could
>cause potential problems with font number conflicts even without Sys 7.  Other

Hah! This kills me! I just got an _Apple_ stack called Intro to System
7, and it has A FONT IN THE STACK!!!

They can't even resist doing it themselves. Doesn't that tell them
something?

Sheeesh! :-)

--
scasterg@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
	"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.214029.8405@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) writes:
>>for awhile, Apple DTS says this is a no-no and will break in System 7 and could
>>cause potential problems with font number conflicts even without Sys 7.  Other
>
>Hah! This kills me! I just got an _Apple_ stack called Intro to System
>7, and it has A FONT IN THE STACK!!!
>
>They can't even resist doing it themselves. Doesn't that tell them
>something?

See, the only rule Apple obeys is this:  All Apple rules apply to everyone
else BUT Apple.  This HAS to be true.  Why else is it that whenever a new
Mac comes out, a new version of System software comes out, too?  If they
were following their own rules, the System software, like everything else
should be compatible with all future versions.  And what about the ROMs?
In every 68030 machine, the ROMs were supposed to be 32-bit clean.  But
were they?  No.  So now, the machines that Apple has touted as being ablt
to address memory as a 32-bit clean machine would won't.  (sounds a bit
difficult, but you know what I mean).  I would like to see, once and for
all, Apple obey the rules that THEY THEMSELVES started.  I don't mind
additions (like pop-up menus, and the like), because they are supersets
to the original rules.  I hate it when they completely and unabashedly
violate the rules TO THE LETTER (do exactly what the rules say DON'T DO).

Sorry.  Enough flaming of Apple.  (turning off acetylene tank)
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/18/91)

Michael Weiss writes in a message to All

MW> See, the only rule Apple obeys is this: All Apple rules apply
MW> to everyone else BUT Apple. This HAS to be true. Why else is
MW> it that whenever a new Mac comes out, a new version of System
MW> software comes out, too? If they were following their own rules,
MW> the System software, like everything else should be compatible
MW> with all future versions. And what about the ROMs? In every 68030
MW> machine, the ROMs were supposed to be 32-bit clean. But were
MW> they? No. So now, the machines that Apple has touted as being
MW> ablt to address memory as a 32-bit clean machine would won't.
MW> (sounds a bit difficult, but you know what I mean). I would like
MW> to see, once and for all, Apple obey the rules that THEY THEMSELVES
MW> started. I don't mind additions (like pop-up menus, and the like),
MW> because they are supersets to the original rules. I hate it when
MW> they completely and unabashedly violate the rules TO THE LETTER
MW> (do exactly what the rules say DON'T DO).
MW> Sorry. Enough flaming of Apple. (turning off acetylene tank)

As far as Apple following its own rules, the only thing Apple has to do is guarantee that if someone follows the rules, Apple won't gratuitously break their code, a promise that for the most part Apple has kept.  The System and ROM code implement the rules so they can't, in themselves, obey the rules.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)