[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] TextEdit bug?

Jonathan.Ashwell@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Jonathan Ashwell) (05/19/91)

I think I've found a bug in HC 2.1/System 7.0 combination. I have an
XFCN that manipulates the styled TextEdit fields in HC. In previous
incarnations of HC (2.0 and 2.0v2 using either System 6.0.5 or 6.0.7)
I was able to break down the text and use a number of Toolbox
routines (TEStylInsert, TEStylePaste) to insert character strings where
I wanted. These routines work fine in HC 2.1 _except for carriage
returns_! Inserting CRs results in a particularly nasty crash. I've
tried every workaround I can think of, but with no success. I could
(I suppose -- I havn't tried it) stick line feeds in instead of CRs,
but I want to be able to export the text to other Mac applications, and
besides, that is an ugly kludge. Can anyone verify this bug? Is styled
TextEdit changed in System 7.0? I have read that the HyperCard team
"tweaked" TextEdit to improve its speed -- this this a tweak gone awry?

 * Origin: The Clone: Macintosh Things - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)