[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HC 2.1 availability/distribution?

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (05/13/91)

The "Before you Install System 7.0" stack describes HyperCard 2.1
as part of the many-disks-and-manuals "official" System 7.0
package.  (Which sounds like a pretty useful package, by the way.)
Nevertheless, has there been any word on distribution of HC 2.1 through
users groups or as a Claris upgrade?  What's the best way to go?

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/14/91)

In article <53458@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
>The "Before you Install System 7.0" stack describes HyperCard 2.1
>as part of the many-disks-and-manuals "official" System 7.0
>package.  (Which sounds like a pretty useful package, by the way.)
>Nevertheless, has there been any word on distribution of HC 2.1 through
>users groups or as a Claris upgrade?  What's the best way to go?

From what I've been given to understand, the Hypercard 2.1 upgrade
will be offered free-of-charge to registered owners of 2.0v2.  I have
no information on the distribution scheme.  Heck, I don't even have
confirmation of registering my copies of Hypercard 2.0v2 (Dev Kit) and
MacWrite II last March.

Also, a three-disk distribution of Hypercard 2.1 will be included with
the System 7.0 Personal Upgrade Kit.  I don't know if it will be
included with the "free" System 7.0 upgrade available from User Groups
and Dealers.  Nor do I know if it will be included with the System 7.0
that will placed, according to popular rumor, on ftp.apple.com.

Hypercard 2.1 free for for registered 2.0v2 owners. (How distribute?)
Hypercard 2.1 (minimal) included with purchased System 7.0 package.

Unknown:
Hypercard 2.1 (any form) free from dealers, user groups?
Hypercard 2.1 as part of "free" System 7.0 upgrade from
	user groups, dealers, anonymous ftp?

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) (05/20/91)

In article <53458@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
> has there been any word on distribution of HC 2.1 through
> users groups or as a Claris upgrade?

I can answer part of this. I run a user group here at my company. Last
Friday, I got the free System 7.0 disks (9 800k floppies). It has all the
disks in the Personal Upgrade Disk except for the one with HyperCard 2.1.
(The documentation was not included, but I should receive it soon.) I
quote now from the cover letter:

"Please note that these are the only materials you are authorized to
distribute. HyperCard 2.1, which is included as part of commercially
available System 7.0 kits is not covered by your agreement and, therefore,
cannot be distributed. System 7 does not require HyperCard."

I do have a license to distribute *Apple* HyperCard 2.0 (the one with the
bugs), but it obviously is of little use now. I don't know if it is
possible for a user group to *buy * the right to distribute Claris
HyperCard. It's not something I paid much attention to, since this user
group has no budget for anything; we don't charge for membership because I
didn't want the hassle of accounting for dues collected.

Maybe someone from  a *real* user group can clear this up.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.mda.uth.tmc.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard