[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Chicago Nice under Sys7

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (05/21/91)

WARNING: If you use the Chicago Nice INIT/CDEV, be sure to remove it before
installing System 7.0.  What happened to me was this:

1) I installed System 7 with the INIT running
2) Everything seemed fine -- the Chicago Nice bitmap appeared in place
   of regular Chicago, although the TrueType Chicago was disabled
3) I turned off Chicago Nice via the Control Panel, so I could use the TT
   Chicago
4) I restarted my system... when the Chicago Nice icon came up, it went into
   some sort of infinite loop of disk access.  Eventually I had to give up
   and hit the programmer's switch...
5) ...totally corrupting my System file.

The INIT may still work if you de-install it, install System 7, and then
re-install the INIT, but I haven't tried this yet.

--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/21/91)

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:

>WARNING: If you use the Chicago Nice INIT/CDEV, be sure to remove it before
>installing System 7.0.  What happened to me was this:

>1) I installed System 7 with the INIT running
>2) Everything seemed fine -- the Chicago Nice bitmap appeared in place
>   of regular Chicago, although the TrueType Chicago was disabled
>3) I turned off Chicago Nice via the Control Panel, so I could use the TT
>   Chicago
>4) I restarted my system... when the Chicago Nice icon came up, it went into
>   some sort of infinite loop of disk access.  Eventually I had to give up
>   and hit the programmer's switch...
>5) ...totally corrupting my System file.

Actually you _can_ use it quite easily. Use ResEdit to renamae/renumber it to
what Chicago is, then use the Font/DA Mover to move it into the system. I now
have it as my Chicago (and an alternate Monaco also :-))

>The INIT may still work if you de-install it, install System 7, and then
>re-install the INIT, but I haven't tried this yet.

>--
>---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
>---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975
>"Please to be restful.  It is only a few           Chicago IL 60680
>crazies who have from the crazy place outbroken."    --------------
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.015903.12949@midway.uchicago.edu>, tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:
|> WARNING: If you use the Chicago Nice INIT/CDEV, be sure to remove it before
|> installing System 7.0.  What happened to me was this:
|>
|> 1) I installed System 7 with the INIT running
|> 2) Everything seemed fine -- the Chicago Nice bitmap appeared in place
|>    of regular Chicago, although the TrueType Chicago was disabled
|> 3) I turned off Chicago Nice via the Control Panel, so I could use the TT
|>    Chicago
|> 4) I restarted my system... when the Chicago Nice icon came up, it went into
|>    some sort of infinite loop of disk access.  Eventually I had to give up
|>    and hit the programmer's switch...
|> 5) ...totally corrupting my System file.
|>
|> The INIT may still work if you de-install it, install System 7, and then
|> re-install the INIT, but I haven't tried this yet.

	ARGHHH! Never install a system with ANYTHING running! I ALWAYS install
off of floppies I've booted from so I have nothing interfering with the
installation. I've NEVER had a problem installing a Mac system (and I've
installed every system since 1.0 multiple times (except for maybe 6.0.6).
	This doesn't say I haven't had OTHER problems with INITs or
applications being incompatible with the new system.

	PC
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

morse@currituck.cs.unc.edu (Bryan Morse) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May21.015903.12949@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:
>4) I restarted my system... when the Chicago Nice icon came up, it went into
>   some sort of infinite loop of disk access.  Eventually I had to give up
>   and hit the programmer's switch...
>5) ...totally corrupting my System file.

I had a similar situation happen to me.  I left the INIT in the system folder
after the install and during my first boot of System 7.  I also turned it
off, rebooted, and watched it light up the disk for a while.  However, a
little patience (and a knowledge of what can happen if you interrupt a
disk write to the System file) payed off.  Eventually it finished and came
up with normal Chicago.  Seems is wasn't infinite after all.

Moral: I don't know why removal of Chicago Nice takes so long, but
       be patient--it will finish.

P.S. I'm sure there's some application of the Halting Problem here for
those with a theoretical bent. :-)

--
Bryan Morse                University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
morse@cs.unc.edu           Department of Computer Science