[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] 2.x Development --> 1.x Run ??

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (05/20/91)

I have the feeling this is a FAQ; if so, please pardon.  I haven't had much
time for the net lately.

My stacks are distributed in the arts community.  The people I want to give
them to often don't know what HyperCard is -- often they don't even know they
have it!  So they *surely* cannot be expected to upgrade software such as
HyperCard in a timely manner.  Hell, *I* haven't even upgraded yet.  So I
*must* be able to support users who are running old versions of HyperCard and
and old versions of System.  On the other hand, I would like to upgrade myself
-- and System 7 some day might be nice too.  :-)

How does one go about staying current with HyperCard and still supporting
users who run old versions?  How can one run both 1.x *and* 2.x?  How can one
export a stack from 2.x back to 1.x, given that it uses no features that are in
2.x that aren't in 1.x?

Surely this must be a common problem for stack developers, & I'd like to hear
whatever comments people have for how they've handled this.
--
 Jim Rosenberg                                               -- cgh!amanue!jr
     CIS: 71515,124                              UUCP:         /    /    |

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (05/29/91)

In article <501@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>How does one go about staying current with HyperCard and still supporting
>users who run old versions?  How can one run both 1.x *and* 2.x?  How can one
>export a stack from 2.x back to 1.x, given that it uses no features that are in
>2.x that aren't in 1.x?

The conversion from 1.x to 2.0 format is one-way. However, Heizer Software
has a product out called Unconvert that purports to convert a 2.0 stack
back to 1.x format, assuming it does not use any 2.0-specific features. I
haven't used it myself, but it may be worth looking into.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a