[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Talking to the finder

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (06/01/91)

I've been playing around with the new commands in HC2.1. I can get the finder
to "quit" from Hypercard - but I can't reopen it again.
Any suggestions?

Neale
N_HAYS@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au   The University of Western Australia

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/02/91)

Responding to the following:

"I've been playing around with the new commands in HC2.1. I can get the finder
to "quit" from Hypercard - but I can't reopen it again.
Any suggestions?"

I don't know for sure whether or not this will work, but try the following:
Change the Finder's TYPE to "APPL". Without doing this, Hypercard 2.0
wouldn't launch it even when I gave it the precise directory path. (actually
I haven't tried it after modifying the Finder but I assume it works). Also,
this doesn't have any effect on the Finder's use as a default application.
In fact, I've had pretty successful ventures using Hypercard as my shell
by renaming it 'Finder' and placing it in the System Folder (FUN!).

leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun1.073802.3358@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>, n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
> I've been playing around with the new commands in HC2.1. I can get the finder
> to "quit" from Hypercard - but I can't reopen it again.
> Any suggestions?

	I haven't tried it, but shouldn't lauching it like any other application work? (open "Disk:System Folder:Finder").  That is the way that a normal application does it.

Leonard Rosenthol

+ Leonard Rosenthol                | AppleLink: MACgician            +
+ Software Ventures                | GEnie:     MACgician            +
+ Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com | AOL:       MACgician            +

n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun2.182952.7733@svc.portal.com>, leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> In article <1991Jun1.073802.3358@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>, n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
>> I've been playing around with the new commands in HC2.1. I can get the finder
>> to "quit" from Hypercard - but I can't reopen it again.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
> 	I haven't tried it, but shouldn't lauching it like any other application work? (open "Disk:System Folder:Finder").  That is the way that a normal application does it.
>
> Leonard Rosenthol

> + Leonard Rosenthol                | AppleLink: MACgician            +
> + Software Ventures                | GEnie:     MACgician            +
> + Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com | AOL:       MACgician            +

No, it doesn't. Someone else has suggested changing the finder to "appl"
but it seems to me there ought to be some way of getting it to accept a
standard "open". (Then again, it seems to me there ought to be a way of
doing a lot of things I can't :-))

Neale

leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.131022.3369@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>, n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
> From: n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hypercard
> Subject: Re: Talking to the finder
> Date: 4 Jun 91 05:10:22 GMT
>
> In article <1991Jun2.182952.7733@svc.portal.com>, leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> > In article <1991Jun1.073802.3358@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>, n_hays@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
> >> I've been playing around with the new commands in HC2.1. I can get the
> >> finder to "quit" from Hypercard - but I can't reopen it again.
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> > 	I haven't tried it, but shouldn't lauching it like any other
> > application work? (open "Disk:System Folder:Finder").  That is the way that
> > a normal application does it.
> >
> No, it doesn't. Someone else has suggested changing the finder to "appl"
> but it seems to me there ought to be some way of getting it to accept a
> standard "open". (Then again, it seems to me there ought to be a way of
> doing a lot of things I can't :-))

	Well since I have an application which kills the Finder, does some stuff
and then relaunches the Finder (using the new 7.0 LaunchApplication routine), I
would put the blame on HC...
	It is pretty easy to write an XCMD to launch apps (and files) under 7.0, so
that may be the work around in the meantime.

Leonard Rosnethol