[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] SYSTEM 7 and Mount Volume XFCN

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (05/30/91)

korcuska@plato.ils.nwu.edu (Michael Korcuska) writes:

>  Where can I get an XFCN (XCMD) which will mount an AppleShare volume?  Or
>is there not one?  I can ftp.

Has anyone gotten it to work under System 7?  Is there a newer version out
there?  Or does HyperCard 2.1 provide its own way of mounting AppleShare
volumes, and if so, how?

Thank you,

Jason D. Blue
jblue@mwunix.mitre.org

leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/03/91)

In article <jblue.675612467@mwunix.mitre.org>, jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:
> korcuska@plato.ils.nwu.edu (Michael Korcuska) writes:
> >  Where can I get an XFCN (XCMD) which will mount an AppleShare volume?  Or
> >is there not one?  I can ftp.
>
> Has anyone gotten it to work under System 7?  Is there a newer version out
> there?  Or does HyperCard 2.1 provide its own way of mounting AppleShare
> volumes, and if so, how?

	There is no way to mount AShare volumes in HC2.1, nor will you easily be
 able to get the current XCMD to work with 7.0.  The problem is simple - the
 XCMD expects to find the Appleshare 'extension' in the System Folder, however
 under 7 it is in the Extensions folder, therefore it can't find the stuff it
 needs to work.  One solution may be to put Appleshare into the System Folder,
 but then the Chooser wont find it....

Leonard Rosenthol

+ Leonard Rosenthol                | AppleLink: MACgician            +
+ Software Ventures                | GEnie:     MACgician            +
+ Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com | AOL:       MACgician            +

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.182410.7623@svc.portal.com>, leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes...

>	There is no way to mount AShare volumes in HC2.1, nor will you easily be
> able to get the current XCMD to work with 7.0.  The problem is simple - the
> XCMD expects to find the Appleshare 'extension' in the System Folder, however
> under 7 it is in the Extensions folder, therefore it can't find the stuff it
> needs to work.  One solution may be to put Appleshare into the System Folder,
> but then the Chooser wont find it....

If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder and alias
it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ....

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

weiss@crowe.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.182410.7623@svc.portal.com> leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
|	There is no way to mount AShare volumes in HC2.1, nor will you easily be
| able to get the current XCMD to work with 7.0.  The problem is simple - the
| XCMD expects to find the Appleshare 'extension' in the System Folder, however
| under 7 it is in the Extensions folder, therefore it can't find the stuff it
| needs to work.  One solution may be to put Appleshare into the System Folder,
| but then the Chooser wont find it....

Might this be a job for Aliases?  Or will they not work here?
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/03/91)

Responding to the following:

"If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder and alias
it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ...."

Actually, it'll HAVE to be the other way around. INITs can be aliased, but
they will NOT be recognized as INITs are startup, because the Alias Manager
doesn't load before INITs are. I think this is stupid, personally. ALL
potential resources should load first and then INITs called last. Anyway,
make sure to put INITs in the Extensions folder and ALIASES on the System
Folder level.

leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/04/91)

In article <55302@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
> From: johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hypercard
> Subject: Re: SYSTEM 7 and Mount Volume XFCN (was Mount Volume XFCN)
> Date: 3 Jun 91 04:06:28 GMT
>
> In article <1991Jun2.182410.7623@svc.portal.com>, leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes...
>
> >	There is no way to mount AShare volumes in HC2.1, nor will you easily be
> > able to get the current XCMD to work with 7.0.  The problem is simple - the
> > XCMD expects to find the Appleshare 'extension' in the System Folder, however
> > under 7 it is in the Extensions folder, therefore it can't find the stuff it
> > needs to work.  One solution may be to put Appleshare into the System Folder,
> > but then the Chooser wont find it....
>
> If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder and alias
> it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ....

	Although this sounds like a good idea in concept, it won't help.  If you
leave it in Extensions and alias into System, the XCMD won't work since it
doesn't know anything about aliases and can't find the original.  On the other
hand, if you put it in the System Folder, the XCMD will/should work, but the
Chooser won't find it.
	Aliases don't happen automatically, programmers have to support them!

Leonard

weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.210413.9752@svc.portal.com> leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <55302@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>> If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder and alias
>> it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ....
>>
>Although this sounds like a good idea in concept, it won't help.  If you
>leave it in Extensions and alias into System, the XCMD won't work since it
>doesn't know anything about aliases and can't find the original.  On the other
>hand, if you put it in the System Folder, the XCMD will/should work, but the
>Chooser won't find it.
>Aliases don't happen automatically, programmers have to support them!

OK, let's assume that you can't access it through an alias (but shouldn't
aliases be handled by System, and not by Finder???).  The next logical,
albeit painful, step would be to have two copies.  One in Extensions, and
one in System Folder.  If they truly are identical, then it shouldn't matter
if there are two of them, should it?

Of course, it would be a major pain to have to start keeping two copies of
things around (yuck).  I can just see hard drives being filled with real
duplicates of megabytes of files, simply because aliases aren't supported...
*sigh*
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /

John_Miller@mindlink.bc.ca (John Miller) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.210413.9752@svc.portal.com>
 leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <55302@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu
> writes:
>> If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder
>> and alias it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ....
>>
>Although this sounds like a good idea in concept, it won't help. >If you leave
it in Extensions and alias into System, the XCMD won't it
>work since doesn't know anything about aliases and can't find the
>original.  On the other hand, if you put it in the System Folder, the
> XCMD will/should work, but the Chooser won't find it.
>Aliases don't happen automatically, programmers have to support them!

The Chooser will find extensions in either the Extensions folder or
the root System folder.  The Chooser does not seem to handle
aliases.

So, stick the extension -- hmm, AppleShare, wasn't it -- in the
System Folder and don't make any aliases.
Disclaimer:  the testing of this information has been limited
to seeing that the pretty icons appear in the Chooser window.
I haven't tried to discover any hidden problems.

john_miller@mindlink.bc.ca
Symplex Systems
(604) 433-1795

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/05/91)

Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <55302@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>> If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder and alias
>> it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ....
>>
>Although this sounds like a good idea in concept, it won't help.  If you
>leave it in Extensions and alias into System, the XCMD won't work since it
>doesn't know anything about aliases and can't find the original.  On the other
>hand, if you put it in the System Folder, the XCMD will/should work, but the
>Chooser won't find it.
>Aliases don't happen automatically, programmers have to support them!

I sure hope you're wrong! Actually, I believe that Aliases ARE handled by
the System, not the Finder, but aliases of Extensions will not work because
Extensions are loaded and executed before the Aliase Manager is. So the
following SHOULD WORK:

Leave the Extension in the Extensions folder. Leave an alias of the Extension
inside the System Folder proper.

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (06/05/91)

Leonard Rosenthol writes:
>      There is no way to mount AShare volumes in HC2.1, nor will you easily be
>able to get the current XCMD to work with 7.0.  The problem is simple - the
>XCMD expects to find the Appleshare 'extension' in the System Folder, however
>under 7 it is in the Extensions folder, therefore it can't find the stuff it
>needs to work.  One solution may be to put Appleshare into the System Folder,
> but then the Chooser wont find it....

Sorry Leonard, not so: the Chooser WILL find AppleShare in the System
Folder.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu) replies

> If this is the only problem, then leave it in the System Folder and alias
> it to the Extensions folder.  Or the other way around ...

Not necessary.  See above.

From article <14@ryptyde.UUCP>, by dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy):

> Actually, it'll HAVE to be the other way around. INITs can be aliased, but
> they will NOT be recognized as INITs are startup, because the Alias Manager
> doesn't load before INITs are...

So far, so good.

> ...Anyway,
> make sure to put INITs in the Extensions folder and ALIASES on the System
> Folder level.

As a rule, yes, but many INITs and cdevs still expect to be in the System
Folder, and you can choose to put 'em there or live without.  In the case
of such cdevs, you should put the alias in the Control Panels folder.
What you should NOT do is put a copy of the cdev or INIT in both the
System folder and one of its subfolders: if you do it will execute twice
at startup, almost certainly not what the author intended.

At least in 7.0, INITs and cdevs in the System Folder proper DO get
executed at startup.  As mentioned above, the Chooser is also liberal
enough to look at both the Extensions folder and the System folder.
Eventually I suppose that some version of the system may stop being so
liberal, but it's hard to see a compelling reason WHY:  There are
valuable gadgets out there that will never be updated...
--
=Ned Horvath=
ehorvath@attmail.com

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (06/05/91)

weiss@curtiss.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) writes:

>In article <1991Jun3.210413.9752@svc.portal.com> leonardr@sv.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>>In article <55302@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
[deleted]

>OK, let's assume that you can't access it through an alias (but shouldn't
>aliases be handled by System, and not by Finder???).  The next logical,
>albeit painful, step would be to have two copies.  One in Extensions, and
>one in System Folder.  If they truly are identical, then it shouldn't matter
>if there are two of them, should it?
[deleted]

I am going to give it a try in just a few minutes, but wouldn't two copies of
the same INIT cause (ok, might cause) system problems?  Also, I remember a
number of INITs that had a problem with AppleShare loading after them, and in
placing AppleShare in the System Folder, I will encounter this problems again.

I'll keep you informed on what I find out.

Jason D. Blue
The MITRE Corporation
jblue@mwunix.mitre.org