[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 2.1 by whom?

jmatthews@desire.wright.edu (06/02/91)

Dear HC friends:

Sorry if this has been noted before. System 7.0, HC 2.1, About HyperCard
says "HyperCard by Binky Melnick". Binky? Do it again. "HyperCard by
Scott Kamins". Each time a different name. Option About, it turns out
*I* wrote HyperCard! Well, shucks, I had help. Oh yeah, Bill A and me
go waaay back...blah, blah, blah...

SYSERR: the connection has been lost due to head exploded [source].

khoo@husc9.harvard.edu (Oonchye Khoo) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun2.000149.3787@desire.wright.edu> jmatthews@desire.wright.edu writes:
>Sorry if this has been noted before. System 7.0, HC 2.1, About HyperCard
>says "HyperCard by Binky Melnick". Binky? Do it again. "HyperCard by
>Scott Kamins". Each time a different name. Option About, it turns out
>*I* wrote HyperCard! Well, shucks, I had help. Oh yeah, Bill A and me
>go waaay back...blah, blah, blah...

And if you keep holding the option key down, you'll learn all about your
machine!

Another question that may have been covered before, but I've been out of touch:
What's new in 2.1?  There must be more than cute "about..." tricks and System 7
compatibility, no?  Sorry if this is old hat...

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu (my real e-mail address; this is posted from elsewhere)
--
---
 Ah Love! Could You and I with Fate conspire, To Grasp this sorry scheme

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/05/91)

Greetings,

Binky really is what she goes by.  I'd post her other name, but she always
gives me a hard time when I use it, so I call her Binky and I suggest you do so
as well... *heh*

Kevin posted a document here (if I remember right) giving a summary of 2.1.
There is also a stack from Claris floating around describing the new features.
It is on CompuServe and CONNECT, and probably elsewhere.  It may be in the
Info-Mac queue by now.

Bruce Carter                                 Internet: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                    Bitnet/CREN: duscarte@idbsu

jmatthews@desire.wright.edu (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.224139.18738@guinness.idbsu.edu>, bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
(Bruce Carter) advises:
> Binky really is what she goes by.  I'd post her other name, but she always
> gives me a hard time when I use it, so I call her Binky and I suggest you do so
> as well... *heh*

I appologize sincerely for any mis-impression: when I wrote "Binky?" I meant to
imply suprise on my part at seeing "HyperCard by Binky Melnick", not suprise at
seeing someone go by the name Binky. Binky it is.
	"...and you can call me Al." - Paul Simon
	"...and don't call me Shirly." - Leslie Nielson

And now, why does HuperCard 2.x complain that I don't have Palatino 24 when it
seems to me that I do?

o----------------------------------------------------------------------------o
| John B. Matthews, jmatthews@desire.wright.edu, am103@cleveland.freenet.edu |
| "Now why would Mike Wallace be standing around on MY porch with a TV crew?"|
o----------------------------------------------------------------------------o

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.154232.3854@desire.wright.edu> jmatthews@desire.wright.edu
writes:

>I appologize sincerely for any mis-impression: when I wrote "Binky?" I meant
>imply suprise on my part at seeing "HyperCard by Binky Melnick", not suprise
at
>seeing someone go by the name Binky. Binky it is.

She's a fun gal.

>And now, why does HuperCard 2.x complain that I don't have Palatino 24 when it
>seems to me that I do?

Hmmm, could be a couple of reasons.  Are you using Suitcase or Master Juggler?
Is there a Palatino font installed in the stack you're starting up?  Are you
using ATM or anything else to access a Postscript version of the font?  Any of
these can confuse the checker in HyperCard.

Last resort you can go into the stack script and kill the handler that does
this check. It's called checkForMissingFonts.
                               <->
Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator      bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Boise State University, Boise, ID  83725              duscarte@idbsu.bitnet
(This message contains personal opinions only)        (208)385-1250@phone