[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 2.1 Q&A from Claris

jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) (06/06/91)

HyperCard 2.1 Q&A

Q:  What is HyperCard 2.1?
A:  HyperCard 2.1 is the latest revision to HyperCard.  It takes advantage of
new features in System 7.

Q:  What are the new features in version 2.1?
A:  The main new feature is support for System 7 Inter-Application
Communication (IAC).  This allows HyperCard scripters to create programs that
can communicate across AppleTalk networks, as well as to control and
communicate with other System 7-aware applications.

Q:  What are the system requirements for HyperCard 2.1?
A:  Version 2.1 requires system version 6.0.5 or higher.  Two 800k floppy
drives or one floppy drive and a hard drive are required, and a hard drive is
strongly recommended.  When running System 7, the Macintosh should have a
minimum 2.5 megabtyes of RAM.

How to get HyperCard 2.1:

Customer...                           -Free Update* -$49 Upgrade    -$199 Kit
Has HC 1.0.1 thru 1.2.5                                   x
Upgraded to 2.0 from licensed User Group                  x
Upgraded to 2.0 from licensed School                      x
Got 2.0 bundled with new Mac CPU                                         x
Got 2.1 bundled with new Mac CPU                                         x
Got 2.0 with third party product                                         x
Got 2.1 with third party product                                         x
Bought 2.0 Upgrade from Claris              x
Bought 2.0 Development Kit                  x
Employer licensed 2.0 from Claris           x
* by calling Claris Customer Relations.

Q:  How do people who bought HyperCard 2.0 from Claris get version 2.1?
A:  Registered users can receive a free update to 2.1 by contacting Claris
Customer Relations at 408-727-8227.  Registered users are people who purchased
a HyperCard 2.0 upgrade or Development Kit from Claris or a Claris reseller,
and who have sent in their product registration cards or registered with Claris
by phone.

Q:  I didn't upgrade to HyperCard 2.0 through Claris.   What should I do?
A:  Order the $49 upgrade from Claris or authroized Claris reseller.  The
upgrade includes 5 disks of software, a 70-page New Features Guide, and
500-page Script Language Guide.

Q:  Will user groups be allowed to distribute HyperCard 2.1?
A: No.  The only way to get the complete HyperCard 2.1 Development Kit or
Upgrade is through Claris or its resellers.

Q:  I just bought a new Macintosh.  How can I get into HyperCard?
A:  If you're a new Macintosh owner or haven't worked with HyperCard before,
you should purchase the HyperCard Development Kit from a Claris reseller.

Corporate and Education Users

Q:  My company (or school) bought the System 7.0 Group Upgrade Kit CD-ROM.  Can
we distribute the HyperCard that came with it?
A:  Up to 20 copies of the HyperCard program can be made by buyers of the Group
Upgrade Kit to help with the administrative work in upgrading users to System
7.  To make a greater number than this, a license must be obtained from Claris.
See the instructions in the kit or the HyperCard Upgrade Licensing stack in the
Administrator's folder on the CD-ROM.

Q:  I am a corporate customer with a lot of HyperCard users.  Do I have to buy
an upgrade kit for each one?
A:  No.  Corporate customers can upgrade through a Volume Purchase from Claris,
which requires that the customer be granted a Right To Copy license.   Volume
Purchases provide customers with a license to copy the software.  Upgrade
Manuals can be ordered separately as needed. Customers who have already
licensed HyperCard 2.0 through a volume purchase are automatically covered for
version 2.1 at no extra charge.

Q:  What if I only need the HyperCard program, not a complete upgrade?
A: Volume Purchase terms are available for just the HyperCard program.

Q:  I subscribe to Apple's System Software Update Program (ASSUP).  Is
HyperCard still included in this?
A:  No.  But some subscribers to ASSUP may have licenses which included rights
to distribute HyperCard in their organizations.  Check with a Claris
representative to determine if a license obtained through ASSUP currently
covers HyperCard.  In most cases licenses that included HyperCard have expired.
If so, a new license can be obtained through Claris' Volume Purchase program.

Q:  What about education customers?
A:  Education sites may purchase the HyperCard Development Kit singly at a deep
discount.  Volume purchase dicsounts are available for the Development Kit and
for the program only.  See you Claris representative or reseller for details.

HyperCard in the Macintosh box

Q:  Is HyperCard 2.1 still bundled with every Macintosh?
A:  Yes.   A HyperCard 2.1 sampler will be bundled with every Macintosh in the
same configuration that existed with version 2.0.  That is, one 1.44MB diskette
with the HyperCard 2.1 program, a Home stack, Appointments stack, Addresses
stack, and the Audio Help stack.

Q:  Is this a runtime version of HyperCard?
A: No.  While the higher user levels of the program are hidden in the Home
stack, the HyperCard program which comes with new Macintoshes is fully capable.
There is no runtime version of HyperCard.

Q:  If HyperCard comes in my new Macintosh, why would I want to buy the Claris
HyperCard Development Kit?
A:  The HyperCard sampler that is bundled with new Macintoshes is designed to
introduce new Macintosh owners to HyperCard.  Three useful stacks are provided
so new Macintosh users can immediately put HyperCard to work, however, the
bundled edition is not designed for authoring.  The HyperCard Development Kit
includes complete documentation to take users from beginning to advanced work,
and includes 5 diskettes of libraries and tools for building software.  For
would-be HyperCard programmers, the Development Kit is more than just
additional manuals, it is also the collection of tools and resources available
in the development kit.

HyperCard and System 7

Q:  Is HyperCard 2.1 shipping with System 7 upgrades?
A:  Yes.  The HyperCard 2.1 program is part of the System 7 Group and Personal
Upgrade Kits.  The System 7 upgrades don't include the documentation and other
tools to build stacks using the new features in HyperCard 2.1.  To get these
you should order a HyperCard upgrade from Claris.

Q:  Can we distribute the HyperCard included in the System 7 Group Upgrade Kit?
A:  The license in the Group Upgrade Kit allows up to 20 copies to be made of
the HyperCard program for use with stacks in the kit.  To make more copies than
this you must obtain a license from Claris.

Q:  How do I make additional copies of HyperCard 2.1 for my organization?
A:  Arrange for a Volume Purchase from a Claris representative or reseller.
The HyperCard Upgrade Stack provided with the U.S. version of the Group Upgrade
Kit can print the necessary license forms.  This stack also includes
information on how to contact Claris for pricing on Volume Purchases.

Q:  Is HyperCard also included with the System 7 Personal Upgrade Kit?
A:  Yes.  It is in the same configuration as ships in every Macintosh accessory
kit, and includes a one-user license.

Q:  What about users outside the USA?
A.  Except for Canada, Britain, Australia, and France, Claris and Apple have no
plans to offer localized international versions of HyperCard 2.1 at this time.
HyperCard 2.0 will ship with most System 7 upgrades outside the USA.

Licensing to Commercial Developers

Q: Can a developer still license HyperCard 2.1 to include with their product?
A: Yes.  Developers can license the HyperCard 2.1 program and a generic Home
stack for inclusion with their value-added products for resale.  They apply
through Apple Software Licensing, and the fees have not changed.  Developers
must specifically apply for a HyperCard 2.1 license; the new version will not
automatically be shipped to them.

Author: CLARIS.TECH@applelink.apple.com

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (06/07/91)

In article <53684@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>Q:  How do people who bought HyperCard 2.0 from Claris get version 2.1?
>A:  Registered users can receive a free update to 2.1 by contacting Claris
>Customer Relations at 408-727-8227.

You gotta be kidding.  Does Claris really want every 2.0 owner who wants 2.1 to
call them up?  No wonder their phone has been busy all day.

I sent in a registration card.  Why don't they just send me a copy?

--
This program posts news to billions of machines throughout the galaxy.  Your
message will cost the net enough to bankrupt your entire planet.  As a result

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.183711.19354@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes...
>In article <53684@apple.Apple.COM> jkc@apple.com (John Kevin Calhoun) writes:
>>Q:  How do people who bought HyperCard 2.0 from Claris get version 2.1?
>>A:  Registered users can receive a free update to 2.1 by contacting Claris
>>Customer Relations at 408-727-8227.
>
>You gotta be kidding.  Does Claris really want every 2.0 owner who wants 2.1 to
>call them up?  No wonder their phone has been busy all day.
>I sent in a registration card.  Why don't they just send me a copy?

I have sent in a registration card AND I've called Claris several times.
The exasperating thing is that I still haven't gotten an answer as to
when 2.1 will ship ( ... soon ... ) and it is not clear whether my
calls were necessary.  When I pleaded that all I needed was a copy of
the binary to test some stackware that I want to release NOW, I was
referred to yet another phone number which turned out to be an automatic
message service ... when I call Claris again to ask what code to
enter at the automatic message line, the next representative has
no idea what the previous one was talking about ...

The people I talked to were all friendly, and all just doing their
jobs, but this is exasperating.  Our university computing center is
not even selling the 7.0 PUK.  There wasn't any demand, I guess.
They decided that it would be better to download it and make it
available for walk-ins with blank disks.

I understand that it helps the HyperCard development budget if people
buy HyperCard.  Fine.  I bought HyperCard 1.0 (didn't have to, but I
wanted a "real copy").  I bought HyperCard 2.0v2 as well.  Sorry, but
I just don't want to buy System 7.0 for the Apple user manuals.  I'm
spending the money on "Inside Mac" instead.

If anybody wants to send me a copy of HC 2.1, I'll send you the first
copy of my stackware when it passes testing.  My Claris registration
number (dutifully read off each time I called Claris) is 0000664375.
I will forget your e-mail address immediately!

Flame 'til your heart's content, but I can't believe that Claris is
going to make one extra nickel by limiting distribution.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/08/91)

Regarding the timing of 2.1 updates -- this information is second hand;
after I wrote an article complaining that 3 calls to Claris left me
confused, a helpful left-coast net person phoned for me (thanks!).

Latest word from the Claris upgrade line (408-727-8227) is as follows:
1) yes, you need to call to sign up for a free upgrade.
2) the exact shipping date has not been set;  "toward the end of the
   month" is the closest they would come to setting a date

Pure speculation: the manuals may not be back from the printer yet ...

By the way, I hope that readers don't mistake grumblings about the
lack of INSTANT upgrades for dissatifaction with HyperCard 2.x.
My frustration was with finding a way to test a stack for upward
compatibility.  I shouldn't have worried;  it works fine.

At $49 for the upgrade from 1.x, HyperCard 2 is the best value,
most powerful, and most fun piece of software I've ever worked with.
The Script Language Guide is very nice, and I'm confident that the
2.1 update will be worth the wait.

Thanks to everybody who offered to help.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949