[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 2.1

ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu (LaSota Daniel K) (04/03/91)

As described in MacWeek this version deals with IAP (Inter Application
Communication).
I guess that we could get it from Claris but could we get just the application
from Apple dealers? Or other sources?
Could someone knowledgable respond?
Dieing to take over the world with my home stack.
}:)

Ant Man!
Dan LaSota
ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr3.004628.7204@ims.alaska.edu> ffdkl@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>As described in MacWeek this version deals with IAP (Inter Application
>Communication).
>I guess that we could get it from Claris but could we get just the application
>from Apple dealers? Or other sources?
>Could someone knowledgable respond?

	Well, the same article says that it will be available to
registered owners of HyperCard 2.0.  My question is, how are you
registered?  Sure, if you bought the $49 upgrade, or the Dev Kit, you
got a nice registration card to send in to Claris.

	But what about those folks that just got the 2.0 binary and
"starter" stacks (Address, Datebook, crippled Home) with their
Macintosh?  How can they be registered?

	I've got a nasty feeling that the "registered" users are just
going to be the people who bought it. <sigh>

	I'll throw this out, as my idea of a "reasonable" distribution
policy, and we'll see what folks think:

1)	For those who received HyperCard with their Mac, regardless of
version, they could pick up a "starter upgrade" from their local user
group/dealer/whathaveyou.  This "starter upgrade" would be the same
thing that is shipped with the new Macs - HyperCard 2.x binary, and
the "starter" stacks.  That way, everyone could at least use 2.x, and
run stacks made with it.  Proof of registration?  Your original
HyperCard disks that shipped with your Mac.

2)	For those who bought the upgrade or the Dev Kit for 2.0 and
registered themselves, a "full upgrade" would be available.  This
would be the full 5 disk distribution: HyperCard 2.x binaries, support
stacks, and a stack describing new features and such.  This upgrade
would be available through Claris or (maybe) your local dealer.
Printed upgrade documentation available at a hopefully reasonable
cost.  Proof of registration?  Original disks, and/or the Claris user
ID you get when you register.

	What does this get us?  2) is probably what Claris plans to do
with 2.1 and future releases.  (I claim no special knowledge, these
are just educated guesses).  But 1), which probably isn't planned,
will do plenty of things:

a) Speed up the general acceptance of HC 2.x as the new standard by
increasing the number of people who can run 2.x stacks.

b) Help Claris sales of HC 2.x full packages by giving a
fully-functional taste of HC 2.x to users who aren't willing to buy a
full package without a taste.

c) Increase general goodwill towards Claris.  Hey, let's face it,
since this fiasco with HC, and the problems with FileMaker Pro,
Claris' previously shiny image has become a tad tarnished.  Tokens of
goodwill are important.  Remember Public Folder?

	Basically, anyone who owns a Mac ought to have the ability to
run a Hypercard 2.x stack.  HyperCard was initially established at
"System Software", and even though it's not quite in that category
anymore, it's a product that has become too much a part of the Mac to
relegate completely to the commercial realm.  The "starter upgrade"
plan would allow people to continue to use Hypercard with most of the
functionality they have in the past, while still allowing the
elevation of "full Hypercard" to the commercial world.  The only
difference is the stacks that are bundled.  The binary, the engine for
HyperCard, is still the standard that all Mac users have access to.

	But hey, I'm babbling idealistic nonsense.  <sigh>

>Dieing to take over the world with my home stack.

	Bwha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...  <evil grin>

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1         + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (04/04/91)

Perhaps someone would be so kind as to post a features list for HC 2.1
for those of us who don't read MacWeek.

Thanks!
  -Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (05/17/91)

OK, usually, I just stand by and let comments (both pro and con Apple
and any other companies) go by...Perhpas I should do that in this
case, but this article touched a nerve.

UP FRONT NOTE:  These are MY opinions, not Apple's, nor those of any
other company I mention.  Most of my examples will quote IBM and Apple,
but only because those are the two firms for which I've worked.

Before I start, I should also mention that I'm a Finance major (BS and
MBA); I hack only for the fun of it :-).  At both IBM and Apple, I
did work/do work in the Finance/Treasury organizations.  I have a good
understaning of corporate finance, and the hows/whys of corporate
existence...

In article <32946@usc> kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) writes:

>say that you should never trust Apple. They are corporate entity whose
>sole purpose is to make money. Any thing you heard about them being
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>anything more than that was sales hype.

I don't think this is true of Apple, and (more importantly) I don't
think this is true of MOST corporations.  If this were true, then
I wouldn't be able to quote examples like these:

     * IBM donating MILLIONS of dollars to charity through employee
       and company matching donations.  Similar programs exist at
       many other corporations.
     * Most US companies donate heavily to universities.  At IBM, I
       would donate $250 to my old school, and IBM would DOUBLE or
       TRIPLE this amount, to make my net donation over $750.
     * IBM, Apple, and other companies donating money, people, and
       resources to help the Bay area recover from the October 1989
       earthquake.
     * Apple donating large sums of money to the K-12 education markets
       throughout the USA, and asking nothing in return.
     * Corporate programs, such as IBM's sabbatical program, that offer
       employed professionals the opportunity to spend >one year<
       (on full salary) teaching at high schools and colleges (primarily
       schools that have budget problems).  IBM covers all of the
       employees expenses (relative to the teaching), so that the school
       district has the free use of an experienced professional.

I could go on and on and on, but I hope you see my point.  None of these
things HAVE to be done.  You can argue that they are all simply 'gimmicks'
to increase sales in the long run.  If this is true, it's an expensive
way to do it.  IBM (and Apple, or any other company) would get a much
better return out of spending this money on advertising, price reductions,
further R&D, etc.  I support the theory that the companies have begun
to realize that they not only need to be profitable, but that they must
be 'good neighbors', as well.  Any company that ignores its social
responsibilities will not last long in today's environment.

(And the following, just to make this somewhat relevant to comp.sys.mac.
hypercard ;-)

If Apple were only out to make scads of money, they (my opinions, remember!)
would never have given away the original Hypercard.  Bill Atkinson
agreement or no, they would've found a way to charge for the product.

Also, while were on the subjects of giveaways, drop by your local IBM (or
Compaq or AST or ...) dealer and ask for a free copy of the latest version
of DOS or Windows.  Go ahead, bring your own disks, and tell him that
you just need the latest version of the software...I think you'd be asked
for about $70 for DOS 4.01.  And what do you get?  A basic operating
system!  Oh yea, and a tutorial...Given that Apple spent three
years developing System 7, I think their pricing actions seem extremely
fair.  You can still get the software for FREE, from many sources!
Try telling this to your IBM dealer...

   Dealer:  Let me get this straight ... your telling me they POSTED
            their system software to a BBS?  Why?

Once again, if it was Apple's intention to simply make a ton of money
on System 7, the purchase price would be significant, and there'd be
no free distribution channels at all!  A recent glance through the paper
showed Windows 3.0 selling for $109.  For a SHELL that sits on top of
the operating system.  At the worst, System 7 will set you back $99, for
the WHOLE (8 disks worth!) operating system, with a set a nice manuals.

Just to close this off, let me add that I do believe that corporations
are in business to make money.  Apple could certainly do more to give
away more of its income.  System 7, Hypercard, and the other associated
products could be distributed free, with manuals, to all current Mac
owners.  BUT the problem with this is, we need income to fund the R&D
that keeps these neat products coming!

Companies have tried the 'give it away' strategy before.  It appears
to work in the short term, but long term results are almost always
predictable - bankruptcy.  If you don't charge enough to cover your
costs and fund future development, you aren't going to last very long.
(And, don't forget, Apple (along with 95% of the Fortune 1000) is a
public company.  We not only have to keep customers happy, but we have
to keep the investors happy, too.  This may be a problem with American
business, but it's almost intrinsic to doing big business here!)

>(Note, there are decent, hard-working, well-meaning people working at
>Apple. But, their good intentions mean nothing unless they are in
>positions of power. If they feel offended by my remarks, then they
>have a lot of growing up to do.)

I'm certainly not offended by your remarks.  But in my experience, the
people I've met at Apple are much more than "decent, hard-working,
[and] well-meaning."  I think there's a different description to cover
the people that labored for years on System 7, Hypercard, Apple Share,
and any other number of highly innovative products.  These people
work 20 hours days; many have cots in their offices; and a very good
number of them don't see family and friends for weeks at a time as
introductions approach...Many also do things in their spare time, such
as supporting the FTP site on apple.com.  Nothing in their job
description says they have to do this.  Kevin Calhoun and the rest
of the Hypercard team aren't required to read comp.sys.mac.hypercard,
and answer user's questions, comments, and concerns (Right, Kevin??).
But they do...

To me, this is dedication to an ideal; not just "hard working
well-meaning" people.  And as long as bright people like these remain
devoted to their goals, Apple will continue to introduce products that
amaze and delight...As an independent (I'm not in the product groups!)
observer, I would like to thank them all for their efforts on the
company's, and on the public's, behalf!

Well, I feel better! :-)  But seriously, I hope you'll reconsider your
statement that the sole goal of any corporation is profits...

Oh yea, for the record...I hope we find a way to continue the current
distribution of HyperCard.  It was this package that really got me
interested in the Macintosh all those years ago...

rob griffiths

--
The above named individual (hereinafter the "signee") doth swear that
the opinions and topics (hereinafter the "lousy logic") presented are

eoliver@hcunix.haverford.edu (Erik Oliver) (05/18/91)

As an owner of Hypercard 1.2.5, I must say that I am extremely
frustrated with the fact that Hypercard and the System Software is now a
paying item.  I have completely stopped using Hypercard in response to
the charge they are assesing for the new versions.  The reason people
used hypercard was that (1) you knew everyone had it so you could write
help stacks or small stacks that did nifty things (2) it was easy to get
if you didn't have it.  Now, not everyone has it or is going to bother
getting it.  I certainly have no intention of doing so.

Also, having used all the mac operatining systems back as far as 1.0,
I can tell you that most of them especially since around 3.2 have been
extremely BUGGY.  I have no intention of putting 7.0 on my macintosh
until version 7.0.5 or so comes out.  I will not pay money to be a beta
tester.  System 7.0 has too many new bells and whistles and most likely
has just as many bugs.  $99 to be a beta tester is a lot of money.

Erik
Opininated Shareholder with not enough clout to do squat.

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (05/18/91)

In article <eoliver.674499783@hcunix.haverford.edu> eoliver@hcunix.haverford.edu (Erik Oliver) writes:

>As an owner of Hypercard 1.2.5, I must say that I am extremely
>frustrated with the fact that Hypercard and the System Software is now a
>paying item.  I have completely stopped using Hypercard in response to
>the charge they are assesing for the new versions.  The reason people
>used hypercard was that (1) you knew everyone had it so you could write
>help stacks or small stacks that did nifty things (2) it was easy to get
>if you didn't have it.  Now, not everyone has it or is going to bother
>getting it.  I certainly have no intention of doing so.

You're frustrated for no reason.  You can get new systems and HyperCard at no
or very low cost.

>Also, having used all the mac operatining systems back as far as 1.0,
>I can tell you that most of them especially since around 3.2 have been
>extremely BUGGY.  I have no intention of putting 7.0 on my macintosh
>until version 7.0.5 or so comes out.  I will not pay money to be a beta
>tester.  System 7.0 has too many new bells and whistles and most likely
>has just as many bugs.  $99 to be a beta tester is a lot of money.

Sorry, but I can't support your claims...I've been bitten by few system bugs,
I didn't have to pay for 7.0 to try it out, and I haven't noticed any major
bugs since I began using 7 several months ago.

Sounds like you're a bit disgruntled for some reason.  Why?

P.S.
Thanks, Apple, for the new system.  Some of us really appreciate it.

>Erik
>Opininated Shareholder with not enough clout to do squat.

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (05/21/91)

In article <53000@apple.Apple.COM> robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) writes:
>If Apple were only out to make scads of money, they (my opinions,
>remember!) would never have given away the original Hypercard.  Bill
>Atkinson agreement or no, they would've found a way to charge for the
>product.

I think that Apple "gave away" the original HyperCard because enough
people here thought that it would help to differentiate Macintoshes
from other PCs and to sell more Macintoshes.  I think that Apple
stopped giving HyperCard away because enough of those same people
decided that it didn't do that well enough to justify the cost.

>Oh yea, for the record...I hope we find a way to continue the current
>distribution of HyperCard.  It was this package that really got me
>interested in the Macintosh all those years ago...

I think that a general authoring tool should be readily and cheaply
available.  However, I don't think that there will be much of a
demand for it until far more content is readily and cheaply available.
When there's a lively interchange of digital news, instruction,
entertainment, and gossip, after we've solved the various problems
that keep us from passing these things around, then far more people
will want an authoring tool that helps them to create, store, and
arrange such things.  And when that day comes, we'll need something
better than HyperCard.

>                                       Kevin Calhoun and the rest
>of the Hypercard team aren't required to read comp.sys.mac.hypercard,
>and answer user's questions, comments, and concerns (Right, Kevin??).
>But they do...

No, I'm not required to read this newsgroup.  But I get a lot of good
bug reports here.  And I don't get enough opportunities to hear directly
from people who use HyperCard what they think of it.  So I do it, even
when it's painful.

Thanks for your comments, Rob.

Kevin Calhoun
jkc@apple.com
-----
No unusual disclaimers need apply.  (Although the usual ones do.)

jerome@ee.fit.edu (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) (05/23/91)

I have Hypercard 2.0 when I bought my Mac IIsi sometime ago.
Am I eligible for the hypercard 2.1 upgrade kit that is
suppose to be selling for $49?!

When and Where can I order my copy of HC2.1 from?!
From whom?!

.Chaos

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (05/24/91)

In article <2525@winnie.fit.edu> jerome@ee.fit.edu (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong -
57875) writes:
>I have Hypercard 2.0 when I bought my Mac IIsi sometime ago.
>Am I eligible for the hypercard 2.1 upgrade kit that is
>suppose to be selling for $49?!

Yes.

>When and Where can I order my copy of HC2.1 from?!
>From whom?!

Now (although I'm not sure they're shipping yet).
Claris Corporation - (800) 544-8554

Bruce Carter                                 Internet: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                    Bitnet/CREN: duscarte@idbsu

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/24/91)

In article <eoliver.674499783@hcunix.haverford.edu>, eoliver@hcunix.haverford.edu (Erik Oliver) writes:

> As an owner of Hypercard 1.2.5, I must say that I am extremely
> frustrated with the fact that Hypercard and the System Software is now a
> paying item.  I have completely stopped using Hypercard in response to
> the charge they are assesing for the new versions.  The reason people
> used hypercard was that (1) you knew everyone had it so you could write
> help stacks or small stacks that did nifty things (2) it was easy to get
> if you didn't have it.  Now, not everyone has it or is going to bother
> getting it.  I certainly have no intention of doing so.

Gee -- it was real difficult for me to get HyperCard 2.0.  Let's see.  Oh
yes, I just got it from my local users group.

> Also, having used all the mac operatining systems back as far as 1.0,
> I can tell you that most of them especially since around 3.2 have been
> extremely BUGGY.

Really?  Since 6.0.3, I haven't had any crashes at all attributable to the
system or finder.  I've been using 7.0 since it was in beta with few crashes,
mostly due to using extremely old software.  7.0 is extremely solid, otherwise
I wouldn't have installed it on my home machine, and certainly wouldn't
have used it on my development machine at work.  I'm even using programs
listed as "Not compatible" with little or no problems.

Lighten up and have fun.  Install System 7 today and get some exciting work
done! (or little work done -- I made the mistake of letting my boss install
it on his machine.  I haven't seen him so happy - nor have I seen him spend
so much time "playing" with an OS :-)

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

jerome@ketch (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May23.215734.14619@guinness.idbsu.edu> bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) writes:
>>Am I eligible for the hypercard 2.1 upgrade kit that is
>>suppose to be selling for $49?!
>
>Yes.

Another question: Is there an educational discount for this upgrade?!

Thank you!

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/28/91)

In article <2534@winnie.fit.edu>, jerome@ketch (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) writes:
>In article <1991May23.215734.14619@guinness.idbsu.edu> bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) writes:
>>>Am I eligible for the hypercard 2.1 upgrade kit that is
>>>suppose to be selling for $49?!
>>
>>Yes.
>
>Another question: Is there an educational discount for this upgrade?!

No.  The word from the OSU Computer Store is that Claris' margins are
non-existent at $49, so no educational discount.

However, The Development Kit (listing for well over $100) sells at OSU's
Computer Store for $79.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

bjustin@network.ucsd.edu (BIll Justin) (06/08/91)

Just received word from a very reliable source that there are some
significant changes in HyperCard 2.1 versus HyperCard 2.0v2.
Specifically, I was told the Picture XCMD was done differently, and
so behaves differently than described in Goodman and other manuals.

Anyone out there in the know who would care to comment on this?

Please let me know by e-mail if you can.

	Internet:  bjustin@ucsd.edu
	AppleLink:  bjustin@ucsd.edu@INTERNET#

Bill Justin
UC San diego

jkc@Apple.COM (John Kevin Calhoun) (06/09/91)

In article <5442@network.ucsd.edu> bjustin@network.ucsd.edu (BIll Justin)
writes:
>Just received word from a very reliable source that there are some
>significant changes in HyperCard 2.1 versus HyperCard 2.0v2.
>Specifically, I was told the Picture XCMD was done differently, and
>so behaves differently than described in Goodman and other manuals.

I've been hearing this rumor persistently over the last several days.
I wonder if your source can supply more information -- whichever
"significant change" in 2.1 is causing a problem, it's certainly not
in the Picture XCMD.  There were only two changes to Picture for 2.1.

  1) a bug fix: after the mouseDownInPicture message is sent,
     the mouseUpInPicture message is sent only if the mouse is
     still over the picture.
  2) a minor enhancement: Picture now accepts a sixth parameter,
     to tell it whether a window should float.  This allows
     developers to create floating Picture windows with custom WDEFs.

There was no change that altered the fundamental way that it works.

Goodman's description of the Picture XCMD is still current.  You
should be aware that the description in Winkler and Kamins is
inaccurate, both for 2.0 and 2.1.

I'd like it if someone could send me a script that broke in 2.1 and
whose "breakage" is attributed to Picture, so that we can get to the
nub of the problem.

Kevin Calhoun
jkc@apple.com