[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Remembering Page Setup problem. HELP PLEASE.

ciru@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (06/09/91)

I'm currently running a group of stacks over a network which require the use
of both an Imagewriter II and a couple of laser printers.  There are various
reports in the stacks, several of which require to be printed out with the
page setup in the 'landscape' orientation.

To simplify matters for the users of the stacks, I have been using Frederic
Rinaldi's excellent Chooser externals, which allow me to transparently choose
and change printers according to the particular report that the user wishes to
print.  (I thoroughly recommend these externals!)

The only problem is however, (and this would occur whether I was using these
externals or not), when a printer is changed, Hypercard doesn't remember (?)
the page setup that the report was originally designed in, and reports which
are meant to print in landscape orientation will print in the 'upright'
orientation.  Am I missing something simple here, apart from the the usual way
of having to manually select landscape orientation from the page setup dialog
box as you would normally when changing a printer?

Is there any way to define within a script (in other words, transparently to
the user) which orientation a report will print, or am I really asking for the
existence of an external here?

Thanks in advance for any replies or advice.

* Mike Schon-Hegrad                                       *
* Research Officer                                        *
* Western Australian Research Institute for Child Health  *
* Princess Margaret Hospital                              *
* Thomas Street, Subiaco                                  *
* West Australia     6008                                 *
* CIRU@FENNEL.CC.UWA.OZ.AU                                *

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun9.222248.3377@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au>
ciru@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au writes:
> I have been using Frederic
> Rinaldi's excellent Chooser externals, which allow me to transparently
choose
> and change printers according to the particular report that the user
wishes to
> print.  (I thoroughly recommend these externals!)
>
> The only problem is however, (and this would occur whether I was using
these
> externals or not), when a printer is changed, Hypercard doesn't remember
(?)
> the page setup that the report was originally designed in, and reports
which
> are meant to print in landscape orientation will print in the 'upright'
> orientation.  Am I missing something simple here, apart from the the
usual way
> of having to manually select landscape orientation from the page setup
dialog
> box as you would normally when changing a printer?

Here's the basic problem, and it has nothing to do specifically with
HyperCard:
When you change the Page Setup information, the print record is saved with
the stack. If you change printers, the printing manager will notice that
the printers are incompatible and will RESET the print record, including
your Page Setup info.
One could say that it's a limitation of the Print Manager that it doesn't
remember specific feature requests in Page Setup and try to preserve them
if the printer changes. On the other hand, since the defaults for the page
geometry and every other aspect could be totally different for another
printer chosen (including that the page is defaulted to be wider than it
is tall), there isn't an easy solution.

The only way I can think of getting around this problem would be to change
the defaults for the printer drivers you are using so that they defaulted
to landscape. There was an Apple utility written in 1983 (which still
works!) called Printer which, among other things, would allow you to
change the default page setup information. I only ever tried the utility
with Apple printer drivers though, so who knows if it would work for third
party drivers. Where to get hold of this utility, I do not know.

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!

kik@isr.harvard.edu (Ken Kreshtool) (06/13/91)

In article <14033@goofy.Apple.COM> gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) writes:

>The only way I can think of getting around this problem would be to change
>the defaults for the printer drivers you are using so that they defaulted
>to landscape. There was an Apple utility written in 1983 (which still
>works!) called Printer which, among other things, would allow you to
>change the default page setup information. I only ever tried the utility
>with Apple printer drivers though, so who knows if it would work for third
>party drivers. Where to get hold of this utility, I do not know.

Wow.  It sounds like this utility might solve a different problem we've been
having.  Does anyone know where to find it?

Ken Kreshtool
kik@wjh12.harvard.edu