[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] How to check if Balloon Help is active?

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (06/12/91)

Is it possible to create a stack that uses Balloon Help?  I have written
a stack that displays help text when the user option-clicks a screen
object.  It would be nice to add a mouseWithin option that could be
active iff Balloon Help is turned on.

-- Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/13/91)

In article <56005@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
> Is it possible to create a stack that uses Balloon Help?  I have written
> a stack that displays help text when the user option-clicks a screen
> object.  It would be nice to add a mouseWithin option that could be
> active iff Balloon Help is turned on.

You'd need an XFCN. It wouldn't be big or difficult to write; it would
just call the Toolbox routine to find out whether Balloon Help is on
(sorry, I've forgotten the name and don't have IM VI handy) and return the
result.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

carlc@clemson.edu (Bobby Clark) (06/13/91)

In article <14044@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
>In article <56005@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu writes:
>> Is it possible to create a stack that uses Balloon Help?  I have written
>> a stack that displays help text when the user option-clicks a screen
>> object.  It would be nice to add a mouseWithin option that could be
>> active iff Balloon Help is turned on.
>
>You'd need an XFCN. It wouldn't be big or difficult to write; it would
>just call the Toolbox routine to find out whether Balloon Help is on
>(sorry, I've forgotten the name and don't have IM VI handy) and return the
>result.

Could you use BallonWriter, an application that installs help ballon into other
applications, to put help into a Stack?

Bobby Clark                                                carlc@clemson.edu
Tech Consultant, The Micro Center                "...My words, not yours..."

Clemson University                           Charlie Sheen from "Wallstreet"