[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Converting 2.1 -> 1.2.5

6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White) (06/18/91)

How do I convert from HC 2.1 (or 2.0 v2) back down to HC 1.2.5?  I know of
a long, tedious way to do it (exporting text, and so on), but I want to know
if there is an easier way.

Thanks,

Jason S. White

--
Jason S. White         |  6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  | Work: (805)685-2100
Intellimation          |  jsw@sbphy.ucsb.edu        |       ext. 310

John_Miller@mindlink.bc.ca (John Miller) (06/19/91)

These questions about converting from HyperCard 2.x to HyperCard 1.2.x
and from SuperCard to HyperCard started me thinking about HyperMover.

HyperMover was created by Apple to convert between HyperCard Mac
and HyperCard IIGS.  The beta version only converted from Mac to GS,
but I understand the final version is out and includes utilities
for going in both directions.  Couldn't this be used to do
the Mac to Mac conversion?

The steps would be 1) use the Mac side of the Mac-to-GS
convertor running under HyperCard 2.x to produce the translation
file and 2) run the Mac side of the GS-to-Mac convertor
to read the stack back into HyperCard 1.2.5.

If the XCMDS that captured the bitmaps weren't using
HyperCard-specific tricks, the technique could also
be used for translating from SuperCard.

One catch is that HyperMover assumes HyperCard 1.2.x
fixed sized stacks.  I also don't know if the bitmaps
are stored in a form -- due to resolution/colour
differences between the Mac and GS HyperCards -- that
would cause problems in Mac-to-Mac conversions.

Comments, Mr. Stadler and Associates?

john_miller@mindlink.bc.ca
Symplex Systems

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/20/91)

In article <12100@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600zot@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jason S. White)
writes:
>How do I convert from HC 2.1 (or 2.0 v2) back down to HC 1.2.5?  I know of
>a long, tedious way to do it (exporting text, and so on), but I want to know
>if there is an easier way.

Heizer Software has a utility that does this.  Thus far, this is the only one
that I've seen.  I believe it is called "UnConvert".
                                     <->
Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator      bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Boise State University, Boise, ID  83725              duscarte@idbsu.bitnet
(This message contains personal opinions only)        (208)385-1250@phone