[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Accessing PICT resources from Hypercard

stephan@psych.toronto.edu (Stephan Hamann) (06/12/91)

I have a collection of resource files that contain graphics
which I want to use in an experiment, but I have been having
trouble accessing them in an easy way.

Each resource file contains 7 pictures of type PICT, and I want
to 1) take the 1st, 3rd, and 5th picture of each of the 300
resource files and 2) copy the image to a separate card in a HyperCard
stack. I can do this manually by accessing the resources through
ResEdit, then pasting them by hand into my stack, but this is
very time consuming. Is there any way to either directly access
the resource files from Hypercard to read the images into a stack,
or at least some way to automate pasting the images into a stack
from the Scrapbook, once I've used ResEdit to fill up the Scrapbook
with images from the resource files?

I have SuperCard, but I haven't had time to learn it yet; maybe if
this can be done through SuperCard it is worth spending the time
right now to learn it?

thanks in advance,

Stephan Hamann  [stephan@psych.toronto.edu]

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (06/15/91)

stephan@psych.toronto.edu (Stephan Hamann) writes:

>Is there any way to either directly access
>the [PICT] resource[s in non-stack] files from Hypercard to read the
>images into a stack,
>or at least some way to automate pasting the images into a stack
>from the Scrapbook, once I've used ResEdit to fill up the Scrapbook
>with images from the resource files?
>
>I have SuperCard, but I haven't had time to learn it yet; maybe if
>this can be done through SuperCard it is worth spending the time
>right now to learn it?
No.  SuperCard can't do this either.

I've been looking for a reasonable answer to this same issue.  If you
get one will you please post it or email it to me?

Jann "PICT problems" VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com

EIVERSO@cms.cc.wayne.edu (06/18/91)

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) writes...
Date: 14 Jun 91 18:23:21 GMT

>stephan@psych.toronto.edu (Stephan Hamann) writes:
>>
>>Is there any way to either directly access
>>the [PICT] resource[s in non-stack] files from Hypercard to read the
>>images into a stack,
>>or at least some way to automate pasting the images into a stack
>>from the Scrapbook, once I've used ResEdit to fill up the Scrapbook
>>with images from the resource files?
>>
>>I have SuperCard, but I haven't had time to learn it yet; maybe if
>>this can be done through SuperCard it is worth spending the time
>>right now to learn it?
>No.  SuperCard can't do this either.

>I've been looking for a reasonable answer to this same issue.  If you
>get one will you please post it or email it to me?

>Jann "PICT problems" VanOver
>vanover@atc.boeing.com

Clipboard Magician DA will do it. I don't have it. Maybe some kind soul
will post it. It's PD from Apple.

--Eric

masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter) (06/24/91)

> stephan@psych.toronto.edu (Stephan Hamann) writes:
>>
>>Is there any way to either directly access
>>the [PICT] resource[s in non-stack] files from Hypercard to read the
>>images into a stack,
>>or at least some way to automate pasting the images into a stack
>>from the Scrapbook, once I've used ResEdit to fill up the Scrapbook
>>with images from the resource files?

It's been a while since I've been hyper-hacking, but at least for
HyperCard 1.2.5, there were some XCMDs and XFCNs in the 'Developers
Stack 1.3r' (in the usual info-mac archive) that did things like
'enumerate resources in a file', and 'copy resources from one file to
another', and even one called 'importpict' that copied all of the pict
resources from a file into a stac.

Some combination of those ought to do the trick.
--
Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)