[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Supercard capability

kroch@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Kroch) (06/19/91)

Does Supercard allow a programmer to create a graphic object that the user can
move around on a card but not copy or delete or change in any way?

osborne@software.org (Skip Osborne) (06/20/91)

In article <44830@netnews.upenn.edu> kroch@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Kroch) writes:
>Does Supercard allow a programmer to create a graphic object that the user can
>move around on a card but not copy or delete or change in any way?

Yes. Two different flavors of them, in fact. Besides the object
graphics (which drove me to SC from HyperCard), the bitmapped graphics
retain movability, in contrast to expectations. The major difference
you're aware of is the different graphical tools in the palette.

The delete-protection features are associated with the card, not
the graphics.

Skip Osborne
Software Productivity Consortium
Herndon, Va 22070

Irv.Kanode@p3.f53.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Irv Kanode) (06/24/91)

> From: kroch@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Kroch)

> Does Supercard allow a programmer to create a graphic object that the user
can
> move around on a card but not copy or delete or change in any way?

Yes, you have a choice of either bitmaps or object oriented graphics which can

be made to follow the mouse around the screen. Large color bitmaps with
complex
ink effects moving over a color bitmapped background will lag behind mouse
movements
even on a IIci.

on mouseDown
set the cursor to none
  repeat while the mouseStillDown
    set the loc of me to the mouseloc
  end repeat
end mouseDown

The copy, delete, change part depends on what you mean by user.  A SuperEdit
user can edit your graphics.  A nonprogrammer user running your project can't
copy, delete or change the graphic in any way--unless you give them the tools
to do so.

Unless you go to some work to lock out experienced SuperCard users, edits can
be made even at runtime especially if you make the message box available.
(see
SC's editscripts property and its ability to create stand-a-lones.)

Don't be afraid of SuperCard. It's a little harder to learn than HyperCard but

it is MUCH easier to program.  It is also more powerfull than HC in its
treatment
of windows, dialog boxes, palettes, menus and especially color.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!53.3!Irv.Kanode
Internet: Irv.Kanode@p3.f53.n114.z1.fidonet.org