[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Recovering from Unexpected error 5454...

fvernon@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu (Frank Vernon) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.191235.20383@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
msriram@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Madurai G Sriram) writes:

> The dreaded "Unexpected error 5454" strikes.  Panic, doom and despair.

> Is there some way of recovering these cards?  what is error 5454
> anyway?  I have already tried a stack called "Recover" which dies with
> the same error upon encountering these cards.

5454 is a common error with corrupted stacks. It refers (we think) to part of
the header of a stack that tracks the positions and background info for a
card. In any case, it usually indicates that HyperCard has lost a set of cards
somewhere.

Hope is on the horizon however. At the end of July, Nine to Five Software will
release a new product called "Rescue". Rescue works by actually scanning the
file structure of a damaged stack (or whatever is left of it) and transfers
the information from the cards it can identify into a new stack.

Generally, with a 5454 error, we have found that Rescue has about a 98% or
more success rate. While Rescue has its limitations, it is quite reliable. I
will not bore you with all the technical details of this thing, but we have
used it as an in-house tool for years and find it invaluable.

Again, Rescue will not be released until the end of July, but if you would
like more info, please feel free to give us a call at any of the numbers
below, or send me E-Mail.

Frank Vernon
Nine to Five Software
Tech Support - (303) 443-9713