[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Documentation on Hypercard 2.0/2.1

pah@xtel.co.uk (Pippa Hennessy) (06/27/91)

Hi people, I've only just started reading this newsgroup so sorry if
someone has already posted the info I ask for....

I just started using Hypercard (Version 2.0) and so far have only
managed to get hold of books on version 1.2.  Does anyone have a list
of books that cover version 2 or later -- if so I'd be grateful for an
e-mail (p.hennessy@xtel.co.uk - I don't know what xrn will put in the
header, but it's bound to be wrong).  Also I'd appreciate
recommendations of good things to read.  I liked Goodman's book, but I
only got hold of the version 1 copy.

Thanks in advance,

Pip (the hairy one)

PS does anyone know of a good way of copying a card and giving it a
different background, without having to create a copy of the stack?

--
==================Pippa Hennessy (the hairy one)==================
| p.hennessy@xtel.co.uk   tel +44 602 412648  fax +44 602 790278 |

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun27.110100.29011@cs.nott.ac.uk> pah@xtel.co.uk (Pippa
Hennessy) writes:
>I just started using Hypercard (Version 2.0) and so far have only
>managed to get hold of books on version 1.2.  Does anyone have a list
>of books that cover version 2 or later -- if so I'd be grateful for an
>e-mail (p.hennessy@xtel.co.uk - I don't know what xrn will put in the
>header, but it's bound to be wrong).  Also I'd appreciate
>recommendations of good things to read.  I liked Goodman's book, but I
>only got hold of the version 1 copy.

The 2.x specific books that I have seen are:  HyperTalk 2.0-The Book (good
reference), the 2.0 version of the Script Language Guide (also a good
reference), Cooking with HyperTalk 2.0, and The Complete HyperCard 2.0 Handbook
(good beginner book).

>PS does anyone know of a good way of copying a card and giving it a
>different background, without having to create a copy of the stack?

Copy the card.  Manually change the hilite of one of the background buttons on
the card, or the position of a background field, or just about anything having
to do with the characteristics of a background object.  Paste the card, it
starts a new background (although with the same name as the old background, but
with a different ID).  An alternate way of doing this is to write a handler to
loop through all the objects and copy them, along with the background art, onto
a card created with doMenu "New Background".
                                     <->
Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator      bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Boise State University, Boise, ID  83725              duscarte@idbsu.bitnet
(This message contains personal opinions only)        (208)385-1250@phone