Date: 24 Oct 87 20:11:00 EDT
From: "ROBAX::KANG" <kang%robax.decnet@venus.ycc.yale.edu>
Subject:  Networking to China --- following up
To: "info-nets" <info-nets@Think.COM>

Greetings,

	This is a follow-up to my last postings. Now we have found some new
information about the network to China announced by the People's Daily.
Here is a new post from the CHINANET list. Hope it helps to thoses who
are interested. People working on CHINANET project are interested in sharing
experiences with the individuals who worked out the above connection. The
European end of this connection is the Karlsruhe Univ in West Germany.
Can anyone help in locating the addresses of the people involved in this
project?

--- Kang Sun
About the link to Europe as reported by People's Daily, I just
saw a latest, more detailed coverage of it on Oct 22nd's
China Daily News (the English translation of HuaQiao RiBao).
This link is indeed different from the link Sijin's sister
is working on. It is between Karlsruhe Univ in West Germany
and the Institute of Computer Technology under the State
Commission for Machinary. The head of the Chinese Institute
is LI Chengjong. The person in charge of the link is WANG Yunfeng.
The computer       being connected there is one made in Japan,
by "Xi Men Zi" company, I suppose the model of the computer is
M7760. The German professor in charged of the link is pronounced
as "Tso-en". Maybe Sun Kang can help us in finding more information
about him and the network he is on.

It is encouraging that at least two groups in China are already
working on network connections to outside world. What we really
need may be better cooperations among these groups and that between
these groups and CHINANET initiators, in lobbeying for support from
the highest levels of Chinese govnment, in making CHINANET a network
in the true sense (rather than individual links).

-Zhenqin
------