[comp.society.futures] Why UUCP to USSR?

Keith_Chandler@10NRC3.CEO.DG.COM (10/23/87)

So, let's assume for a moment that the nice people in Washington and
the nice people in Moscow see the light and decide to allow a UUCP
(or whatever) link between our universities and theirs.  Why
shouldn't they?  As we have read here over the past few days, it
would appear that they can't really keep it from happening anyway!
BUT... are any of us really naive enough to believe that 'useful'
information is really going to flow bidirectionally across that
link?  When is the last time you read of a Soviet being arrested for
trying to sell technical documentation to the U.S.?  Let's get
serious and drop this facade of innocence regarding the state of
world affairs.

imprint@orchid.waterloo.edu (U of Waterloo Student Newspaper) (10/25/87)

In article <5.003752@adam.DG.COM> <Keith_Chandler%10NRC3.CEO.DG.COM@adam.DG.COM> writes:

>would appear that they can't really keep it from happening anyway!
>information is really going to flow bidirectionally across that
>link?  When is the last time you read of a Soviet being arrested for
>trying to sell technical documentation to the U.S.?  Let's get
>serious and drop this facade of innocence regarding the state of
>world affairs.

Hmmmm . . . I suppose that some of us think that "technical
documentation" is not always the most interesting or useful
part of cross-cultural intercourse.

We really cannot determine the value of what they might say
to us until we hear it. If nothing else, we might hope that
some small measure of the abysmal ignorance and mythology
generated by the propaganda machines of both sides about the
other might be dispelled.

Doug Thompson
Fido 221/162
watmath!orchid!imprint
watmath!221/162.fido!Doug_Thompson

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (10/26/87)

(-: (-:

I can see it now: Soviet spy sends Unix source code back on a microdot.
An army of typists punch it all in.

"Comrade General. I have just brought up Russnix on our KMK-11."

"What good is it?"

"You can read Usenet news with this command, rn. Watch this."

"soc.singles? rec.audio? But there is no information there. Bah, show
me something else."

"You can share your files by setting the modes. Notice the output of ls -l."

"Bah. I have no intention to share my secrets with my fellow generals.
I stick with MOSC-DOS.  Waste of time.  No more freebie trips to the
West for you, Ivan."

	Ken

:-) :-)

brt@homxc.UUCP (B.REYTBLAT) (10/27/87)

In article <11349@orchid.waterloo.edu>, imprint@orchid.waterloo.edu (U of Waterloo Student Newspaper) writes:

> If nothing else, we might hope that
> some small measure of the abysmal ignorance and mythology
> generated by the propaganda machines of both sides about the
> other might be dispelled.

Or that this will become yet another avenue for further propaganda and disinformation
campaigns routinely and skillfully conducted by the Soviet Govt. Frankly, I don't think
you understand the meaning of the word "propaganda", as it is practiced behind the
iron curtain.