[comp.society.futures] cmu study on electronic meetings.

coleman@unisoft.UUCP (10/28/87)

dm@bfly-vax.bbn.com writes:
>Unfortunately, the CMU study also concluded that typically a worse
>decision was reached by electronic meetings than by face-to-face
>meetings.  I don't know how they evaluated the quality of the
>decision.

I remember studing this in one of my psychology classes while at ucsd; If
memory serves me, the results were "riskier", which is not quite the same
as "worse".  People were also willing to take more radical stances, and less
likely to be compromising in those stances.

It was theorized that a lot of this might be a result of the missing
facial/tonal cues.

We've all seen the various attempts at regaining some of the expressive
power of speech, via the "side-ways faces" and other notational widgets.

don