[comp.society.futures] UUCP - USSR and Barry's flame.

coleman@unisoft.UUCP (10/28/87)

A historical note first: for those of you not familiar with the history of
info-future, it was originally a mailing list kept by Barry Shein.

I think going back to a mailing list is a bit premature at this time: sure,
the signal to noise ratio of the "UUCP - USSR" topic is much less then
that which most of were used to in the mailing list, but the topic is almost
a religious one, and thus not subject to reason.  My hope is that it will
fade, given time.  Given the nature of a news group, it is more likely to
have this problem, and we will probably see it again(and those who didn't
expect it, I think we're being a bit naive about news groups in general).

What we need to do is decide what this news group is actually about.  I
think comments/topics that are obviously political should be frowned on.
When people cross the line, we should deluge them with *mail*(not news),
stating that we think they are drifting off the proper type of topic for
this group.  We should first at least *try* some other solutions, rather then
just packing our bags and going back were we came from.

Messages with the words "right" and "wrong", or "bad" and "good",  in the
political sense, should be red flags indicating possible problems.  This
is *not* a group for taking votes on US(or any other country's) policy;
nor is it the floor of the US senate.

If people truely feel they must discuss these issues, do it off-line via
direct mail, or move over to a more approprate news group.

With all due respect to Barry, and he is due some, he does not have
the power to disband this news group.  He could drop his subscription,
and try to convince as many other people as he can, to go back to a
mailing list(the previous type of forum for this topic, which I will add
was *not* edited, nor digestified; I do *not* like mailing lists that are,
since they have a much longer turn-around time, are harder to sift through,
and have various other problems like vacations/sicknesses of the digestifier).

don

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU.UUCP (10/29/87)

I appreciate Don Coleman's comments. My mail indicating I was
considering changing the format of the group to minimize the noise was
just that, a consideration and I am very much open to hearing opinions
on the matter. My attitude on this is far from fixed.

In part I was responding to the wave of private mail that was
beginning to fill my box with sentiments like "can't anything be done
about this junk?!" and "drop me, I've had it". Those who are looking
for an audience are quite frankly "killing the goose that lays the
golden eggs".

I don't think a touch of "politics" per se is a dirty word. I do think
irrelevant grandstanding and soap-boxing is self-defeating and
completely non-productive. A note detailing one's views on some
specific event occuring between the USSR and Finland in the '30s might
be true but it's of no value. Such non-sequitars add little (or, at
the very least, there is some responsibility on the part of the sender
to tie it together, other than to indicate that it proves that they
know who the bad guys really are.)

The future of computing will have political aspects guiding its
development, technology does not occur in a vacuum. The real challenge
is to tie those thoughts together, not just spout off some steam which
seems to have been triggered by precisely one word seen in the subject
header.

Anyhow, perhaps cooler heads will prevail.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

OWENSJ@VTVM1.BITNET (John Owens) (10/29/87)

>With all due respect to Barry, and he is due some, he does not have
>the power to disband this news group.  He could drop his subscription,
>and try to convince as many other people as he can, to go back to a
>mailing list(the previous type of forum for this topic, which I will add

Actually, info-futures is still a mailing list, although it is
bidirectionally gatewayed with a USENET group, and people (including
myself) do still receive it as a mailing list.  What Barry could do,
I suppose, is to stop gatewaying the group and the mailing list, and
let the group go on and do what it wants, and let the people who
are really interested in carrying on the info-futures discussion
stay on or resubscribe to the list.  I think that would be more
trouble that it's worth though; the most sensible thing to do,
in my opinion, is to go to a moderated (but *not* digestified)
format if the noise doesn't die down of its own accord.

        -John Owens
        Virginia Tech Communications Network Services
        OWENSJ@VTVM1.BITNET    owens@vtopus.cs.vt.edu