[comp.society.futures] Fwd: China is on CSNET now.

ckk+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (10/30/87)

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 87 18:27:24 -0500 (EST)
From: dd1k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Dong-Ping Deng)
To: bb+announce@andrew.cmu.edu (Bulletin Board Administration)
Subject: Fwd: China is on CSNET now.

 ****************
For more information, please read bboard assocs.chinese-gso
****************

  I just received a message from Dr Zorn in West Germany which
seems to that Beijing Institute of Technology is on CSnet now.
Anybody want to try to send a mail to

li%beijing.csnet@relay.cs.net ?

Here is Dr Zorn's message:

Date:     Wed, 28 Oct 87 11:51:03 MET
From: "Prof. Dr. W. Zorn" <zorn%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: Rongsheng Li
<RLI%NYQUIST.usc.edu%oberon.usc.edu%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Cc: zorn%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET,
        kang%robax.decnet%yale-eng-venus.arpa%germany.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  China-Connection Karlsruhe/Beijing

Dear Mr. Rongsheng Li,
the connection to China was implemented in the following
way: we used two SIEMENS/BS2000- Hosts, one at the Uni-
versity of Karlsruhe, the other at the Institute for Com-
puter Apllication -ICA- at the Beijing Institute of Tech-
nology BIT. The transmission goes over X.25, using the
PKTLCOM BEIJING PAD, located at the Beijing PTT. From ICA
we dial one of free ports of the PAD. PKTLCOM BEIJING is
connected over a satellite link to ITAPAC, which is the
x.25- packet network of Italy. From there we use a PTT-
Gateway to the german X.25- Network DATEX-P. This carrier
works suffenciently well, though there is some noise on
the line, especially in Beijing.
On top of this X.25- connection we run the CSNET/PMDF-
Software, which we have implemented on the SIEMENS/BS2000-
operating system. The service is ELECTRONIC MAIL.
The SIEMENS- Host in Karlsruhe is connected via our local
area network LINK with a VAX 11/750, which acts as a central
CSNET- Node for Germany an polls the CSNET-Relay in Boston
several times a day. Thus the CSNET node in Beijing is
fully integrated into CSNET, even the official status is
so far experimental. The node-name is "beijing", so the
simplest address from our site is
                    li@beijing
The Beijing- Node normally dials in once a day, but sometimes
there is also a delay, due to power off and other failures in
between.
If you are interested in more information, please tell.
Regards
Werner Zorn
-------