[comp.society.futures] Cyberpunk futures

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV.UUCP (10/31/87)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood and/or
desireability of the scenarios described in, say, William
Gibson's books (Neuromancer, Count Zero) ?  For that matter,
could anyone take a stab at summarizing for the group the
essence of these scenarios ?

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) (11/05/87)

--------

AG Hirai writes:
> 	For everyone's information, there's a newsgroup solely devoted
> to the discussion of cyberpunk, named alt.cyberpunk ..
> So please post the articles there.

Yes, but (1) I and others are marooned on the Internet, and I for
one do not know if it is possible to get at the alt.*'s; (2)
don't simple summaries of cyberpunk qualify for this newsgroup,
if they contribute to discussion ?

Does "cyberspace" sound like anything remotely possible ?
Is there any way (yet) for the converse to occur, i.e. mental
visualizations to be detected by external instrumentation ?
I know that it is possible for cursors to be directed thru
detection and decoding of brain waves, but that is a far cry
from cyberspace!

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (11/05/87)

Moderator's note:

I think the cyberpunk discussion on the list has been enjoyable and
worthwhile. I think the pointers to alt.cyberpunk were intended as
just that, pointers to another discussion list that people might be
interested in for more focused conversation on the topic for its own
sake. I realize some Internet readers have no access to the list,
perhaps if there's interest they can coax someone into digestifying
some of the alt.cyberpunk postings into a new mailing list. Hey, this
is how they find out about such things, right? Served its purpose.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University