[comp.society.futures] Usenet in Hypertext form

dick@ccb.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (11/02/87)

In article <21526@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>... any document can be annottated by anyone at anytime.
>... choose to turn off any subset
>... editted by editors they trust,
>... each document has fast links to every document it references
>and each document that references it,
>flaky theories get their rebuttals attached strongly and quickly.
>
>How can we evolve usenet news into such a system?

Note that such a system has many useful purposes:
  a. readers are active participants
  b. kudoes and flames accumulate
  c. specific meanings of words and phrases emerge
  d. each reader is a moderator available to future readers
  e. the documents and system can evolve gradually
  f. multi dimensional searching facilities develop naturally
  g. authors can retract (but not erase) their former work
  h. optical disks will have something to store
  etc.

To answer the question: only slowly and with cooperation on many
fronts by many participants.  Ted Nelson & his colleague could
assist with their hypertext system or its ideas.  The fundamental
truth is that each word will have many more readers than writers.
Thus we should attend to ease of reading above all.

The first useful thing I see to do is to make a version of a
popular news reading program which can follow references forward
and back.  The first major problem is how to expire unwanted
bulk text; LRU anyone?

Dick

Dick Karpinski  Manager of Minicomputer Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick        (415) 476-4529 (11-7)
BITNET:  dick@ucsfcca or dick@ucsfvm           Compuserve: 70215,1277
USPS:  U-76 UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0704   Telemail: RKarpinski
Domain: dick@cca.ucsf.edu  Home (415) 658-6803  Ans 658-3797

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (11/03/87)

Fascinating and wonderful idea.

I think the first thing to do may not be to really provide all the
software etc to deal with hypertext but perhaps to decide what
information needs to be stored and how and to provide the ability to
ignore it until the systems are fully built.

For example it would be nice if I could just enter a Hypertext
reference \(ref 1043) right into my text (probably by program) and
know that most USENET reader programs \(ref 4a.37) would just ignore
it by some simple rule (elide or interpret backslash followed by
matching parens, for example.)

Given a suitably powerful escape like that experimentation should
be able grow \(ref bzs@bu-cs:1477 (graphic 106.CFD)) unfettered.

Anyone want to propose a suitable escape? \(link 777 (file "hypernet"))

Suggestions? \(active "survey" label "hyper-escape" in-file "hquery")

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (11/03/87)

I would suggest, for those actively interested in such things, that
you select an escape sequence that doesn't look a whole lot like that
used in popular WP software.  Good examples of what not to select:
	\(xx	for many "xx", is nroff/troff special char
	@foo	for many foo, is scribe-form crud
	0x80+n	for most <n>, the high bit may get lost

In general, I suggest that people implementing new software not
implement systems which are likely to choke on many of the files
existing on their systems.  Sensitivity to nroff/troff/pic input, for
instance, would be inapropriate in a system dealing with text which
might reasonably expect to be fed such text.  Sensitivity to the
high-order bit in a char would be inapropriate in a text processing
package which might get ported to EBCDIC environments.

					Tanner Andrews, Systems
					CompuData, Inc.  DeLand

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (11/03/87)

Tanner Andrews points out the importance of finding an escape for
hypertext information which does not coincide with any commonly used
software and some other points. Totally agreed. The best way to do
this is to keep suggesting possibilities until no one in a large and
diverse group can find any objection. Here's another possibility
very similar to my last:

	\[anything]

Does anyone know of any objection to this format (backslash followed by
balanced square brackets) other than the slight possibility someone might
want to send such a thing anyhow for no major reason (ie. not as necessary
syntax for a major package.)

One other safeguard could be a header field which indicates whether
or not this message should be interpreted at all, as in:

	Format: hypertext

which could be yet-another-catchall hook which is easily implemented.

I do agree tho that even such a hook cannot solve all problems as
obviously one might wish to send troff or TeX text hypertex'd (in fact
perhaps the whole backslash idea should be canned due to it's
prevalence in word-processing, maybe replace it with colon?)

Just thinking out loud.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

dick@ccb.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (11/05/87)

In article <8711022250.AA01367@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>I think the first thing to do may not be to really provide all the
>software etc to deal with hypertext but perhaps to decide what
>information needs to be stored and how and to provide the ability to
>ignore it until the systems are fully built.

Don't wait for some fully built system.  Just make an initial stab
at some useful aspect and pass it around for trial and change.

>For example it would be nice if I could just enter a Hypertext
>reference \(ref 1043) right into my text (probably by program) and
>know that most USENET reader programs \(ref 4a.37) would just ignore
>it by some simple rule (elide or interpret backslash followed by
>matching parens, for example.)

Let's pick some nice form for references and find out where and why
it runs into difficulties.  One nice way is to identify the form of
references in each document by some device like /*hyperref:{:}:*/
where the "hyperref:...:...:" is the fixed part.  Any characters on
the outside may be used to hide the specifier from ignorant systems.
The characters between the colons are then the delimiters in use
for this document (or until another hyperref).  This makes it easy
to revise any such document to accomodate local requirements without
changing its meaning.

>Given a suitably powerful escape like that experimentation should
>be able grow \(ref bzs@bu-cs:1477 (graphic 106.CFD)) unfettered.

You have got the idea I had in mind.  Who is familiar with the
philosophy that WEB uses for this sort of thing??  Who (besides
Larry Wall) could implement a useful article reference in rn like
this??  Should the definition be more robust??  A trailing word
(ferrepyh?) could avoid false hits and allow even the ":" to vary.

How should the reference be indicated to the reader?
How should the reader ask to see the reference?
How should references to this document be found from here?
How much of the HyperCard semantics should be emulated?
Who cares?

glg@sfsup.UUCP (11/12/87)

In article <8711022250.AA01367@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>Fascinating and wonderful idea.

I agree, when can we have it available ;-)

>I think the first thing to do may not be to really provide all the
>software etc to deal with hypertext but perhaps to decide what
>information needs to be stored and how and to provide the ability to
>ignore it until the systems are fully built.

Even before this we need to know what it should do and how it will be
used.  You may argue that we can't know that until there is some
experience using systems of this type, but experience on a partially
implemented, possibly hard to use system will not really help either.
We need to prototype, but not just mock-ups, a system that will be
used seriously by many people.  If the groundwork is solid, it can
evolve from there.

	[ suggestions about specifying a standard that can start
	  now to enter references into messages ]
>Anyone want to propose a suitable escape? \(link 777 (file "hypernet"))

I think this is premature.  Entering references in netnews articles does
not really address what is necessary to create and build references in
a hypertext system.  The essence of hypertext involves evolving
textual structures, you need to be able to add to items within the
data base (new references, etc.), not just to append articles with back