[comp.society.futures] Corporate Democracy

dick@ccb.ucsf.edu.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <2358@sfsup.UUCP> glg@/guest4/glgUUCP (xmpj20000-G.Gleason) writes:
>Although there are some encouraging signs of openness from Gorbachev, I
>have my doubts about their political organization ever releasing this
>type of control.  Democracy is likely to be restricted to party members
>for a long time to come, but then even this is encouraging.

I have told a story (third hand, sorry) for years about how the
folks who went to install an automated lens factory outside of
Moscow discovered a fascinating truth about life in the USSR.

They noticed that in each case the corresponding techie on the
Russian side was overqualified compared to the US techie.  It
seems that the penalty (to your carreer) for failure is so high
that folks are unwilling to reach for a position in which they
might fail.  This lack of bravado creates a generalized wasting
of talent and may indeed be an overwhelming problem.

The recent case of a Moscow(?) CP chief who was forced to resign
and repent is highly instructive.  Not only did the story get
wide and detailed coverage in the open press in the USSR, but
the guy was not then sent to Siberia.  In fact I find it most
encouraging that he has already assumed another role of rather
significant proportions.  Perhaps someone more familiar with the
case and the prior state of that society can make this more
clear and put it in perspective for me and for you.

Dick

Dick Karpinski  Manager of Minicomputer Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick        (415) 476-4529 (11-7)
BITNET:  dick@ucsfcca or dick@ucsfvm           Compuserve: 70215,1277
USPS:  U-76 UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0704   Telemail: RKarpinski
Domain: dick@cca.ucsf.edu  Home (415) 658-6803  Ans 658-3797