[comp.society.futures] Warm superconductors

BIOMED@CZHETH5A.BITNET (10/29/87)

Everybody talks about these 'warm superconductors'. A Nobel prize was
given to the inventors, and the magazines are full of phrases like
'changing the world...'. Room temperature superconductors are expected
for the near future.

HOW will they change the world ?

Power distribution:
Zero resistance allows ultra high currents at low voltages. Can power
lines go underground, because insulation is not a problem anymore ? How
about the magnetic field ? Forces on ferromagnetic objects ? Cardiac
pacemakers ? Compasses ? What happens, if a line breaks ? sqr(I)*L must
be very high -> huge sparks at the breakpoint ?

Power storage:
Can high energy coils be built ? What energy per volume/weigth is
possible, compared to batteries or gasoline ? The support structure for
these coils will be under heavy mechanical stress. Is this the limiting
factor ? Or is the loss of superconductivity at high magnetic field
strength ? What if a coils breaks ? Huge bang ? Poisonous emissions ?

Computers:
Is the impact on computers that big ? I thought, the limiting factors
today are the propagation speed of signals, and the stray reactances of
the elements. Switching speed of transistors won't change, neither will
inductance and capacitance of connecting lines. Or will they ?

Comments are invited.

Tom ANNA
Zuerich, Switzerland.
BIOMED@CZHETH5A   (Bitnet)

rkn@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (Roger E. Stoller 576-7886) (10/30/87)

The relatively near-term 'life-changing' potential of these materials
is probably very limited.  Their use in electronic devices (an area I
know little about) is the one that seems most practical.  Their ability
to be used in an application is limited by the massive engineering
problem of moving 10-100's of thousands of miles of transmission lines
underground and > reliably < keeping them cooled.  Probably even more
significant is the problem of fabricating the necesary wire.  The
so-called 123-superconductor is a ceramic and as such has very little
ductility.  Wire cannot be drawn in the conventional manner. A few
tricks have been employed to make 'wires' in the laboratory to prove
it could be done, but these techniques do not lend themselves to
economic, large-scale application.  These new materials are of
significant scientific interest, and the longer range implications
of their discovery are not necesarily clear - but the life-changing
business is largely hyperbole.

  Roger Stoller, rkn@ornl-msr.arpa, (615) 576-7886
  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.  37831-6376

haas@utah-gr.UUCP (Walt Haas) (10/30/87)

In article <8710291320.AA08591@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, BIOMED@CZHETH5A.BITNET writes:
> ...Room temperature superconductors are expected
> for the near future.
>
> HOW will they change the world ?

Assuming the price is right and other problems can be solved, they may
make solar energy the most economic source of electricity, at least in
this part of the world.  We've got lots of sunlight, and the technology
for turning it into electricity has improved tremendously, but unfortunately
there's currently no reasonable way to store it.  Room temperature
superconductors could solve this problem by simply circulating a current
in a loop.

----------------*
Cheers  -- Walt     ARPA: haas@cs.utah.edu     uucp: ...utah-cs!haas

DISCLAIMER: If my boss knew I was using his computer to spread opinions
            like this around the net, he'd probably unplug my ter`_{~~~

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/02/87)

In article <8710291320.AA08591@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, BIOMED@CZHETH5A.BITNET writes:

> Computers:
> Is the impact on computers that big ? I thought, the limiting factors
> today are the propagation speed of signals, and the stray reactances of
> the elements. Switching speed of transistors won't change, neither will
> inductance and capacitance of connecting lines. Or will they ?

If you've got room-temperature (whatever *that* means) superconductors,
there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to implements at least
some of the switching components as something faster, such as josephson
junctions.  (Aren't the transistors in current devices used as fast
switches, mostly?)

Inductance and capacitance should change somewhat in response to
device scale (but how much?).

Since there are no resistance heating effects, you should be able
to get much higher device densities (pack 'em closer and cut down
on propagation delays) than currently possible.  Faster (and eventually
cheaper, maybe) devices result.

Except for improvements in current drain and solving cooling
problems, I doubt if exactly dublicating current design exactly
in warm superconductors is going to be very useful.  At least,
compared to gains from implementing new types of devices, as well.
(On the other hand, I'm just a software type, what do I know?)

	seh

In article <8710301312.AA26625@ORNL-MSR.ARPA>, rkn@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (Roger E. Stoller 576-7886) writes:
> The relatively near-term 'life-changing' potential of these materials
> is probably very limited.

It may a little early to tell yet.

> Their use in electronic devices (an area I
> know little about) is the one that seems most practical.  Their ability
> to be used in an application is limited by the massive engineering
> problem of moving 10-100's of thousands of miles of transmission lines
> underground and > reliably < keeping them cooled.

This would probably be the case if transmission lines never needed to
be replaced, repaired, upgraded, or new ones installed.  If the new
technology provides lower costs, better performance, reliability, easier
acces for repair,...it will eventually probably be used.  This, of
course, supposes that the new technology can be developed and does
provide one or more of the desired characteristics.  Power companies
work with fairly small (financial) margins...they'd not be too likely
to turn down ways to improve their (and their stockholders) cash flow.

> Probably even more
> significant is the problem of fabricating the necesary wire.  The
> so-called 123-superconductor is a ceramic and as such has very little
> ductility.  Wire cannot be drawn in the conventional manner. A few
> tricks have been employed to make 'wires' in the laboratory to prove
> it could be done, but these techniques do not lend themselves to
> economic, large-scale application.

The materials currently discovered obviously don't fit the bill of
something required for making wire, or handling huge magnetic fluxes,
and...but aluminum wasn't exactly an ideal material 75-100 years ago.
The cap on the Washington Monument was close to being as expensive as
gold when it was put in place, but it wouldn't be now.  (Aluminum is
used for high-voltage transmission lines because it's cheaper than
the better-conducting copper for equivalent line.  Also lighter.)
The first aircraft uses of aluminum (by people such as Dornier) were
somewhat unsatisfactory, since early examples of Dural tended to
either exfoliate or turn into this interesting, but not very useful,
white powder.  Such problems have pretty much been worked out.

> These new materials are of
> significant scientific interest, and the longer range implications
> of their discovery are not necesarily clear - but the life-changing
> business is largely hyperbole.

You might be right...but, as you might have guessed, I don't think
so.  It's at least too early to tell yet.

	seh

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (11/02/87)

In article <8710291320.AA08591@bu-cs.BU.EDU> BIOMED@CZHETH5A.BITNET writes:
>Everybody talks about these 'warm superconductors'. ...

>HOW will they change the world ?

>Is the impact on computers that big ? I thought, the limiting factors
>today are the propagation speed of signals, and the stray reactances of
>the elements. Switching speed of transistors won't change, neither will
>inductance and capacitance of connecting lines. ...

One of the limiting factors is heat dissipation.  This limits how closely
you can pack elements on a chip, which, in turn, limits signal propagation
rates, switching delays, etc.  Warm superconductors would allow much
higher chip densities with accompanying increases in speed and complexity.

Then there's the prospect of warm Josephson Junction technology, pocket
Crays running off nine-volt batteries or solar cells, etc. ...

The mind boggles.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum

ras@blade.UUCP (R.A. Schnitzler) (11/02/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.4 of Fri May 22 1987 on blade (berkeley-unix)

Can anyone answer this question about the potential impact of
room-temperature superconductors:

If I built a semiconductor with superconducting paths (assume we
figured out how to fabricate such things), would the resulting chip be
hard to EMP (ElectroMagnetic Pulse)?  That is, if the conductors
within the chip were capable of effectively neutralizing any applied E
field without undergoing heating due to the currents generated, what
remaining threat is there from the large and sudden E fields
associated with EMP?

So, do I misunderstand something about EMP or superconductivity, or
would this solve the (problem?) of building "hard" electronics?

Ray Schnitzler
Bell Communications Research
bellcore!schnitz

garry@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand) (11/05/87)

(Cross-posted to rec.railroad)

In article <8710291320.AA08591@bu-cs.BU.EDU> BIOMED@CZHETH5A.BITNET writes:
>Everybody talks about these 'warm superconductors'. ...
>
>HOW will they change the world ?

The most intriguing idea I've heard so far is to apply them to cheap magnetic
levitation for trains.  I'd guess the trains would travel significantly
faster, use less fuel, and be exceedingly smooth and quieter-riding. The fuel
is probably not significant, but could the other things give trains
a shot at a comeback? I'd *love* to have an alternative to airplanes!

Does anyone have technical knowledge?

(I admit I would *not* love to have trains travelling at 400 mph past
my house.)

garry wiegand   (garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
		(garry@crnlthry - BITNET)

neanders@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Nels Anderson) (11/06/87)

In connection with high-temperature superconductors,
garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu writes in article
<2824@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>:

>The most intriguing idea I've heard so far is to apply them to cheap magnetic
>levitation for trains.
>
>Does anyone have technical knowledge?

Well, I have a little.  Just a bit of the physics.  I don't know anything
about the engineering problems.

According to an article in the IEEE Spectrum about three years ago,
there are two types of magnetic levitation: electromagnetic and
electrodynamic.  In the electromagnetic system both the train and the
track contain electromagnets.  I believe the train's magnets are
actually below the track, in a monorail-type arrangement.  The magnets
are oriented so as to attract each other, with the result that the
train is pulled up.  A control system is required to maintain the
proper separation between the two sets of magnets, reducing the field
if they come to close and increasing it if they get too far apart.

Superconducting electromagnets could be used to eliminate resistive
losses.

Electrodynamic suspension is somewhat more elegant.  It is based on
the principle that a changing magnetic field will tend to induce a
current in a conductor (copper, aluminum or a superconductor,
for example).  The induced current will flow in such a way as to
create a magnetic field counter to the original field.  If, for
example, the changing magnetic field is caused by a magnet moving over
the surface of the conductor, the induced currents in the conductor will
repel the magnet in the vertical direction while attracting it
horizontally.  So the magnet is levitated and at the same time held
near the center of the conductor.

The catch here is that in normal conductors the induced currents die
out rapidly.  Constant motion is required to maintain the induced
magnetic field.  In a superconductor, however, the currents continue
to flow indefinitely.  Thus, if you send a magnet skimming over a
block of aluminum at sufficiently high speed, the magnet will be
levitated.  If it slows down, however, the levitation will disappear.
If you do the same thing with a superconductor, you find that the
levitation persists even when the magnet isn't moving.  A New York
Times article on superconductors a few months ago showed a magnet
suspended over a superconductor (or it may have been a superconductor
suspended over a magnet -- the principal is the same).

Without superconducting technology, an electrodynamically suspended
train would contain an ordinary electromagnet and might ride over an
aluminum track.  (The track just has to be a good conductor and must
not be ferromagnetic.  It would start out on wheels.  After reaching
sufficient speed it would lift off the track. The New York Times
article mentioned the possibility of using superconducting technology
for the electromagnet.  If superconductors were really cheap, the
track could be superconducting as well.  Then the train would float as
soon as its magnets were turned on -- there would be no need to get up
to speed.  Superconducting track would also save energy, since the
induced currents in nonsuperconducting track will tend to dissipate.
The energy they dissipate has to come from somewhere, and I believe it
shows up as a retarding force on the train.  This would be quite
substantial; the induced currents holding up a fast-moving train would
be comparable to currents in the train's own magnets.

Magnetic trains have been demonstrated by the British, Germans and, of
course, the Japanese.  As I recall from the IEEE article, the British
system was electromagnetic.  I don't know about the other two, but I
believe that either or both of the German and Japanese experiments
rely on conventional cold (liquid helium) superconductors.

Nothing has been said yet about propulsion, as opposed to levitation.
I presume that it is done by magnetic repulsion or attraction between
electromagnets in the track and the train.

I could go on at greater length about these things, but I suspect that
everybody is bored already.  Unfortunately I know only about the
physical principals involved and nothing about the practical
engineering problems.  (Besides, my thesis advisor would dispute my
claim to understanding ANY physical principals.)

neanders@phoenix.princeton.edu
neanders@phoenix.UUCP
6070106@pucc.bitnet

rvk@houdi.UUCP (R.KLINE) (11/06/87)

	one benefit of magnetic levitation would probably be
	significantly lower roadbed wear.  the primary function
	of "tracks" would be to correct lateral excursions.
	fuel savings might be significant because the major source
	of friction would now be wind drag.

						-r. kline

Niffleknob_Slaw@SFU.MAILNET (11/06/87)

    Seems to me that warm super-conductors should make it easy (possible) to
build mass-drivers for slinging raw materials around the solar system
 i.e: tossing space-station raw materials into orbit cheaply rather than
ferrying them up in shuttles at tremendous cost.  Should also provide a
whole new order of cyclotron-like toys for the particle-physicists to play
with.

dan@WILMA.BBN.COM (11/10/87)

I doubt that maglevs would make high-speed trains much more
fuel-efficient; wind resistance, rather than wheel friction, is
already the major energy consumer for high-speed rail operation.

	Dan Franklin

dmc@videovax.Tek.COM (Donald M. Craig) (11/10/87)

Once upon a time the Ontario government had (maybe they still do)
a `Transportation Research Centre' in Kingston, Ontario.
They had a maglev track and a train that ran around on it,
using technology licensed from a German company (Krauss-Maffei ?).

It seemed to work fine, in the summer.  But when the winter blizzards
howled off the Saint Lawrence River the track was buried under ice
and snow, and all the lovely hovering clearances disappeared.
They might still have the train, but they never bought another.

There's a lot of sophistication in old train technology.  When the
Canadian National Railways introduced a United Technologies turbine
powered (jet fuel yet) `Turbo' train on the Toronto - Montreal run
in the early seventies, it took ten years of re-engineering before
the things would run reliably during the winter.  I remember on
several occasions having to transfer to the diesel `Rapido' when
the `Turbo' failed in the thick of a blizzard.

Don Craig
Tektronix Television Systems

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (11/16/87)

One aspect of the new superconductors that has not been touched on yet
is their applicability to electric motors.  With current technology,
electric cars are not practical, because the motors are too heavy and
too inefficient, as are the batteries.

Warm superconductors could solve both of these problems.  We could
create motors half the size and many times more powerful than the
electric motors of today.  The batteries could also become more
efficient by orders of magnitude.  This could get us out of our current
reliance on petrochemicals, and greatly reduce humanity's destruction
of the biosphere.  Not to mention you never need go to the gas station
again; just plug in your car overnight!

Of course, this leaves out questions of intense electromagnetic fields
inside the car, ability to quickly accelerate, etc.  But GE recently
created a solar-powered car that crossed Australia at an average speed
of over 40 mph (if memory serves).  The thing only drove during the
daylight hours, but that's still an impressive feat.  And that was with
non-superconductor technology.  If that can be done now, imagine what
will be done when the supercoductors come along!

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Lemme graze in your veldt,
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |  Lemme trample your albino,
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  Lemme nibble on your buds,
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |  I'm your... Love Rhino" -- Bloom County

djw@beta.UUCP (David Wade, Computer Confuser Group, Chaotic Section, Administrator of illogical "Do Whiles".) (11/22/87)

In article <18946@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> robertj@yale.UUCP writes:
>  Not to mention you never need go to the gas station
>again; just plug in your car overnight!
>
>Rob Jellinghaus

And your house will burn down as the MEGAWATTS come swiftly into the noload
battery...