[comp.society.futures] The future of simple BBS boards...

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) (10/26/87)

[  The following is a file I made awhile back for some BBS boards. It is
formatted in 40 columns in order to make it easier to read for those mis-
fortunant enough (including me) to have 80 columns.(Go ahead, flame away!:-)) ]

    The Future of BBS Software
    --- ------ -- --- --------

    The future of BBS software is very
certain.  BBSs seem to be getting much
bigger, more complex,and more and more
impersonal by the year. Remember those
mom-and-pop  BBSs  several years  ago?
Those creative  and friendly BBSs that
made you feel at home?   The time when
every new board meant new software with
its own  personal touch?  Well,  those
times are  gone.  Now-a-days  the  BBS
market is being taken over by the mean
and evil C-Net.  Not  only C-Net,  but
huge complex beasts like Pc-Board,  GT
Procomm, and SysLink. Now granted, for
some  boards this  is  really  a  good
thing,  like Compu$erve or USENET news
interfaces,  but the private  BBSs are
becoming  more  complex,  impersonal ,
and worst of all,  they're all  alike!
BBS boards are becoming boring because
they act the same  way, look  the same
way, and {feel} the same way.  Indeed,
the most important thing to  a BBS are
the message bases.  But  another  very
important aspect of all of this is the
way the BBS feels.Next time you log on
a  BBS,  ask  your  self  this:  "Am I
logging on ANOTHER BBS?Or am I logging
on THE BBS?" And then think "How is it
possible that there be two  BBS boards
with the  same good  users at the same
place  and  time that BOTH  have  good
volume of interesting topics.  I think
your answer can be the attitude of the
BBS  expressed  by  the  SysOp.   That
special something that  makes that BBS
truly unique  from  any  other BBS  in
the known world.

    What  we  need  is   a  return  to
fundamentals  when  talking  about BBS
boards.   So  that   humans   set  the
standards for the path of the BBS. Not
impersonal machines.
--
North Coast Computer Resources(ncoast) - 216-781-6201 (or 781-6202)

UUCP:decvax!mandrill!ncoast!robertd

jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (11/09/87)

In message <4942@ncoast.UUCP>, robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) says:
>    The Future of BBS Software
>    --- ------ -- --- --------
 > BBSs seem to be getting much >bigger, more complex,and more and
more >impersonal by the year. Remember those >mom-and-pop BBSs several
years ago?

Software is getting more complex, true. However, it's also getting
more powerful.

"impersonal" usually is a measure of the sysop's touch. Many sysops
today care mostly about how many "warez" they can get out of their
BBS, especially the IBM PC people with their Fido and RBBS clones and
huge hard drives (RBBS has about 7 different ways to download a
program -- but only ONE way to read messages). However, if you look
around, you can still find BBS's run by humans, for humans... for
example, I am a user on a BBS called "BioFeedback" in Houston, which
is run by a 40 year old housewife using a C-NET clone, and THAT board
certainly isn't "impersonal"....

> What we need is a return to >fundamentals when talking about BBS
>boards.  So that humans set the >standards for the path of the BBS.
Not >impersonal machines.

Do you have any suggestions, or are you just going to moan and groan
and gripe and b*tch?

Here's where I think the BBS market is going to go: User friendliness.

Think about it. It really is a shame that current BBS's, in order to
be powerful, must be cryptic. Your average new user is as mystified by
your typical BBS, as he'd be if put at the "login:" prompt of a Unix
system.

There is only one solution for this problem: Screen management. A good
example are the "vn" and "gnews" interfaces for the netnews system,
which basically give you a listing of title-author pairs, and let you
move the cursor around to which bulletins you want to read. Instead of
adding a complete Teco-like line editor, a simple full-screen editor
would make entering bulletins much easier, even if it's simpler than
MicroEmacs or VI (since we're talking about 50-100 line bulletins, not
huge programs).  Considering that almost every terminal program
nowadays emulates some kind of smart or semi-smart terminal, I see
very few problems with this approach. If all else fails, the BBS can
have a line-mode that allows the user to download a suitable terminal
program, so the excuse that users won't have the right terminal
program is a crock, too.

Another thing that I think is necessary: USENET-style bulletin
networking. The limit on a popular BBS is the number of people who can
squeeze through on a single telephone line. There's a couple of ways
to remove this bottleneck:

a) Buy a multi-user/multi-processing computer, and add telephone
lines. Too expensive for most people, though... for a three-line BBS,
we're talking about $300 for installation fees, and $45/month for the
phone line, not to mention the IBM AT or other similiarly powerful
computer with large hard drive that'd be necessary.

b) A distributed phone-type network a' la' a mini-USENET, where
several BBS's can share bulletins. This basically is like having a
multi-user BBS, with the advantage that the costs are shared among a
number of people, without the hassles of charging a fee (which will
repel many people -- when there's hundreds or thousands of BBS's
available, sending a couple of bucks to each one so that you can
decide which ones you want to use, is out of the question).

--
Eric Green  elg@usl.CSNET       from BEYOND nowhere:
{ihnp4,cbosgd}!killer!elg,      P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (11/15/87)

In article <246@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Green Eric Lee) writes:
(Hacked up and semi-quoted)

>Another thing that I think is necessary: USENET-style bulletin
>networking. The limit on a popular BBS is the number of people who can
>squeeze through on a single telephone line. There's a couple of ways
>to remove this bottleneck:
>
>b) A distributed phone-type network a' la' a mini-USENET, where
>several BBS's can share bulletins. This basically is like having a
>multi-user BBS, with the advantage that the costs are shared among a
>number of people, without the hassles of charging a fee (which will
>repel many people -- when there's hundreds or thousands of BBS's
>available, sending a couple of bucks to each one so that you can
>decide which ones you want to use, is out of the question).

This we already have.

Call 'ddsw1' sometime at (312) 566-8911 or 566-8912, or any one of several
others in Chicago and elsewhere (vpnet and igloo, to name two locally), and
you'll see this type of distributed bbs in action... it is very much like a
mini-Usenet, but optimized for use as a bbs....

Disclaimer:  We wrote the software, and sell it, so this is sort of a
		shameless promotion.....

--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8909 (300-1200)

yates@BUCSF.BU.EDU (steven yates) (11/15/87)

How does one go about sharing a bbs among multiple phone lines ?
The impression that I received was that these multiple owners of the
bbs database were not necessarily in the same physical location.
I have just recently loosed a bbs on to the world, and am interested
in how to create and run a multi-node bbs as painlessly as possible.
      Thanks in advance,

           Steven Yates

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (11/15/87)

In article <8711150154.AA10324@bucsf> yates@BUCSF.BU.EDU (steven yates) writes:
>How does one go about sharing a bbs among multiple phone lines ?
>I have just recently loosed a bbs on to the world, and am interested
>in how to create and run a multi-node bbs as painlessly as possible.
>
>           Steven Yates

Basically, you need one modem per phone line, and either a computer that
will handle multiple modems or several computers networked together.
Finally, you need the appropriate BBS software for whichever of the
above you end up doing.  There are numerous multi-line BBS programs for
the IBM PC, and several for other systems as well.  There are even a
few that run under UNIX, though I'm not particularly impressed by them.
I was working on a multiuser BBS for the Atari ST, and have it mostly
running, but I've seen (about two years too late) how little money there
is in BBS systems, and have decided to cut my losses.  But I have learned
quite a bit about systems like this; if you have more specific questions,
please feel free to mail me.

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (11/15/87)

-------------------------
I agree very much with Mr. Lee, that it's the sysop and the environment
he/she promotes that makes a BBS.  I still call up an OKC area BBS, because
the people there are my friends, and the sysop makes you feel at home.

I do want to pick one nit, though.

In article <246@usl-pc.UUCP>, jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Eric Lee) writes:
> a) Buy a multi-user/multi-processing computer, and add telephone
> lines. Too expensive for most people, though... for a three-line BBS,
> we're talking about $300 for installation fees, and $45/month for the
> phone line, not to mention the IBM AT or other similiarly powerful
> computer with large hard drive that'd be necessary.

While the phone line costs are past quibbling, I should point out that there
are multi-user BBSs that run under OS-9/6809 on Tandy Color Computers, which
shouldn't run you as much as an AT.

		James Jones (speaking solely for himself)

yates@BUCSF.BU.EDU (steven yates) (11/16/87)

I agree. It is the sysop that creates the environment for the user. As a
matter of fact, because there seemed to be too many local BBS's that were
too technical, too strict, and well...kinda dull, I created my BBS to be
the opposite of all that.
   I realize this is a shameless plug...but, the point to my BBS is that it
has no upload/download restrictions/quotas, no message restrictions, and I
encourage discussion on just about any topic. The users have also realized
that I is OK to poke fun at the sysops, the system, or whatever else as long
as it does not degenerate into slander.
   Basically I am trying to give an environment and tone that is completely
different from other BBS's that I have called. It seems to have worked too.
I have been up for one week and have over 300 messages and over 120 files
uploaded with maybe 20 downloads.
  But as to "what" is the board running on...you'll have to call and find out!
I'll give you a hint though...its name is "Junk In The Box" and the telephone
number is 617-536-9388.
  Try it, and hopefully you'll have fun.

        -Steven Yates
        -Junk In The Box
        -Proud to have been a bookend...

bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) (11/16/87)

In article <558@mcrware.UUCP>, jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:

> While the phone line costs are past quibbling, I should point out that there
> are multi-user BBSs that run under OS-9/6809 on Tandy Color Computers, which
> shouldn't run you as much as an AT.

You know I once thought that OS9 was a better bet than MSDOS too, but the CoCo
is not a cheaper way to go for this kind of a project.
Lets see now:
             CoCo 3 with 128k              199.95
             512k memory upgrade           149.95
             Hard disk interface           129.95
             MultiPak interface
               required for Hard Disk Int.  99.95
                                          ________
             Total                         579.95

  And of course this doesn't even include a Monitor or the Hard Drive itself.
Considering that a floppy from Radio Shack costs 179.95 (just the drive) you
can imagine how much to add for a Hard Drive.  And then of course we need to
buy the serial port plug in pak.  It was about $75 I don't know what it costs
now and you can only put on one of them.  At this point you have a very
expensive single port BBS.
  Personally I don't like PC hardware but I can buy an AT clone from any of a
number of sources for that kind of money.  And I don't need an At to run a BBS.
An XT will work just as well.
  So much for a cheap solution.
(All prices taken from Radio Shack's 1988 Catalog #419)

bill gunshannon

UUCP: {philabs}\		 	US SNAIL: Martin Marietta Data Systems
      {phri   } >!trotter.usma.edu!bill           USMA, Bldg 600, Room 26
      {sunybcs}/			          West Point, NY  10996
RADIO:         KB3YV		        PHONE: WORK    (914)446-7747
AX.25:         KB3YV @ K3RLI	        PHONE: HOME    (914)565-5256

madd@BUCSF.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (11/17/87)

|In article <558@mcrware.UUCP>, jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) writes:
|> While the phone line costs are past quibbling, I should point out that there
|> are multi-user BBSs that run under OS-9/6809 on Tandy Color Computers, which
|> shouldn't run you as much as an AT.
|>

|You know I once thought that OS9 was a better bet than MSDOS too, but the CoCo
|is not a cheaper way to go for this kind of a project.

[cost estimate deleted]

|  Personally I don't like PC hardware but I can buy an AT clone from any of a
|number of sources for that kind of money.  And I don't need an At to run a BBS.
|An XT will work just as well.
|  So much for a cheap solution.

An AT is a better solution, though.  Set up [insert name of unix for
AT here] and it'll be relatively easy to keep a multi-port BBS
running.  Besides, overall response will be better if you use an AT,
especially the new, fast ones (although at 1200/2400 baud, this is
seldom an issue).  With the prices on AT's falling like they are, you
might as well get the extra power.

|bill gunshannon

jim frost
madd@bucsb.bu.edu

"They told me that it was 'user friendly' but that was one big lie.
It is evil and it hates me."                          -- I. Spitzer

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (11/18/87)

The "Citadel" BBS system has preserved a simple user interface and incorporates
networking.  Minneapolis and St. Paul (Minnesota) have a number of Citadel
boards.  The authors/porters of the PC, ST, and Amiga versions live here and
a number of machines of all three types network by sharing "rooms" (the Citadel
term for message areas.  All three versions are public domain and are available
in source and object form.
Bob Rogers					        rogers@StPaul.NCR.COM
NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (11/18/87)

In article <1010@trotter.usma.edu>, bill@trotter.usma.edu (Bill Gunshannon) writes:
> You know I once thought that OS9 was a better bet than MSDOS too, but the CoCo
> is not a cheaper way to go for this kind of a project.

A *very* brief comment, since I don't want to distract from the main
discussion: if you talk to CoCo users, the very first thing you'll learn
is that the *only* stuff you should buy from Radio Shack is the CoCo itself,
the mouse, and the MPI.  All else can be had better inclusive-or cheaper
from third parties (and even the above might well be purchased from an
outfit like Computer Plus, which will sell them to you for less than they
cost at RS).  Rather than give a complete list, I would refer interested
folk to RAINBOW magazine.

		James Jones

victoro@crash.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <339@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <246@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Green Eric Lee) writes:
>(Hacked up and semi-quoted)
>
>>Another thing that I think is necessary: USENET-style bulletin
>>networking. The limit on a popular BBS is the number of people who can
>>squeeze through on a single telephone line. There's a couple of ways
>>to remove this bottleneck:
>>
>>b) A distributed phone-type network a' la' a mini-USENET, where
>>several BBS's can share bulletins.....
>>

>This we already have.
>
>Call 'ddsw1' sometime at (312) 566-8911 or 566-8912, or any one of several
>others in Chicago and elsewhere....
>
>Disclaimer:  We wrote the software, and sell it, so this is sort of a
>		shameless promotion.....
>
>--

This, on the other hand, is just a pridefull user talking about a system
that might go into production (but the author isn't worried.)

People-Net combines a friendly Usenet interface and the ability to
propogate messages between systems while maintaining threads.

P-Net #1 is in San Diego,Ca at (619) 444-7006
P-Net #2 is somewhere in Los Angeles..

!  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro      |
|  ARPA: crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and home: (619) 698-1680 (Sand Eigo, Ca)     |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces       |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

victoro@crash.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <8711150154.AA10324@bucsf> yates@BUCSF.BU.EDU (steven yates) writes:
>How does one go about sharing a bbs among multiple phone lines ?
>The impression that I received was that these multiple owners of the
>bbs database were not necessarily in the same physical location.

On this system the messages appear like a normal BBS but when you comment
in a confrence the message is propogated to the other system and any
comments you make to it there are propogated back maintaining a connection
to the original message.  The increases the number of users on the
confrence as the sum of both systems.   Not all confrences are propogating,
some are kept at a local level since the systems are a few hundred miles
apart.

In article <8711161610.AA09022@bucsf> yates@BUCSF.BU.EDU (steven yates) writes:
>  But as to "what" is the board running on...you'll have to call and find out!
>I'll give you a hint though...its name is "Junk In The Box" ...

This is system is running on a Symemetrix 350.  What's that you say?  How
about a 32016 12.5 Mhz system with 2MB of Ram, 260+MB of storage and three
2400 baud modems.  Not bad for a nearly free (donations?) system.

Hey, our sysop is a wonderful guy!

jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Green Eric Lee) (11/21/87)

In message <575@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) says:

>The "Citadel" BBS system has preserved a simple user interface and incorporates
>networking.

I've never seen "Citadel" myself. Would appreciate it if you sent me a
couple of phone numbers. However, I DO have an example of where modern
technology makes a BBS easier to use:

Consider a full-screen text editor. This full screen text editor has 6
commands: cursor movement in all 4 directions, delete a character, and
justify the current paragraph.

I submit that this text editor would be as powerful as any other
simple BBS text editor available, even the C-NET editor which has
about 60 jillion commands doing all sorts of weird and wonderful
things. Yet, it'd be ten times easier to use.

User interfaces are the solution to the problem of complexity. Alas,
we cannot yet assume that everybody out there has access to a
bit-mapped display, so BBS's aren't going to be running mouse-and-icon
based software anytime soon. However, we CAN assume that either a)
everybody has a terminal emulator, or b), everybody can get one real
easy, perhaps by a pre-login mode that lets people download one
without login in. I mean, if I can get a VT100 emulator with Kermit
for the lowly Commodore 64, I can't even imagine some computer that
doesn't have an emulator available for it (except maybe the Sinclair
ZX81 :-).

Now comes the question of WRITING this masterpiece... err... maybe
I'll have to put da programming where da mouth is....

--
   Eric Green  elg@usl.CSNET       P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509
   {ihnp4,cbosgd}!killer!elg,      {ut-sally,killer}!usl!elg

FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET (Thomas Fruin) (11/21/87)

Maybe this has already been discussed, since I'm only a recent member of this
mailing list, but has FidoNet been mentioned yet?  FidoNet is a worldwide
network of over 1000 bulletin boards, with electronic mail (with attached
files) and Usenet like news.

Each node acts as a normal BBS, but has special "areas" (newsgroups) where you
can enter messages that are routed to other BBSs at night.  Every night each
FidoNet BBS either calls or waits to be called by another BBS, and both of
them then swap messages and files.  Each BBS has a large nodelist, which tells
it how a message for a particular BBS should be routed.

FidoNet used to offer only electronic mail (it still does), but its news
service has become much more popular.  FidoNet news is called Echomail, because
messages are "echoed" to other systems.  It works completely transparent to
the user, and threads of messages and their replies are also kept.  There are
many many conferences on computer related topics, but also subjects such as
Greenpeace, Science Fiction, CDs, Movies etc.

FidoNet may very well be the largest computer network in the world, since each
node has approximately 500 callers.  That would make 1000 x 500 = 500.000 users
at least, and the network is growing by leaps and bounds.  The US has the most
nodes, but there are nodes all over Europe as well (about 60 in Holland).  And
there is at least one on each continent.  The important thing is that FidoNet
is accessible to _anybody_ almost _anywhere_.  No restrictions.

Check out a Fido BBS near you!

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP
   2:500/15 on FidoNet

   Leiden University, Netherlands

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (11/21/87)

In article <2027@crash.cts.com> victoro@crash.CTS.COM (Dr. Snuggles) writes:
>In article <339@ddsw1.UUCP> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>In article <246@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Green Eric Lee) writes:
>>(Hacked up and semi-quoted)

>>>Another thing that I think is necessary: USENET-style bulletin
>>>networking. The limit on a popular BBS is the number of people who can
>>>squeeze through on a single telephone line. There's a couple of ways
>>>to remove this bottleneck:
>>>b) A distributed phone-type network a' la' a mini-USENET, where
>>>several BBS's can share bulletins.....

>>This we already have.
>>Call 'ddsw1' sometime at (312) 566-8911 or 566-8912, or any one of several
>>others in Chicago and elsewhere....

>This, on the other hand, is just a pridefull user talking about a system
>that might go into production (but the author isn't worried.)
>People-Net combines a friendly Usenet interface and the ability to
>propogate messages between systems while maintaining threads.

People-Net may have these things.... but your statement about "a system that
might go into production" is utter bull-cocka.

AKCS is not a system that *might* go into production -- it already is in
production, and has been sold to several customers - including AT&T.  It is
a commercial product with our full support behind it.  Binaries are available
for Microport 286 & 386 as well as the AT&T 3b1 and 3b2 series.  Source
licenses are available as well.

V4 will have a transparent Usenet interface (being worked on even
now as I post this), and will be through testing in a couple of months.  The
system will keep followups with the original, just as we currently do with
(which is getting our full attention).  Our current rev-level is V3.6.2

AKCS *already* provides the user with fully linked conferences, maintains
threads, permits multiple feeds without having multiple copies of items
ending up on your system, handles complete security and moderation in
conferences, and interfaces with any desired transport mechanism from uucp
to network mail to zmodem.

Check your sources next time before you post such complete nonsense.

The above represent the official opinions and statements of Macro Computer
Solutions, Inc. and Karl Denninger -- authors and copyright holders of AKCS.

--

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <373@usl-pc.UUCP>, jpdres10@usl-pc.UUCP (Green Eric Lee) writes:
> In message <575@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM>, rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) says:
> >
> >The "Citadel" BBS system has preserved a simple user interface and incorporates
> >networking.
>
> I've never seen "Citadel" myself. Would appreciate it if you sent me a
> couple of phone numbers. However, I DO have an example of where modern
> technology makes a BBS easier to use:
>
> Consider a full-screen text editor. This full screen text editor has 6
> commands: cursor movement in all 4 directions, delete a character, and
> justify the current paragraph.
  (I also assume an Insert Function)
> I submit that this text editor would be as powerful as any other
> simple BBS text editor available, even the C-NET editor which has
> about 60 jillion commands doing all sorts of weird and wonderful
> things. Yet, it'd be ten times easier to use.
>
> User interfaces are the solution to the problem of complexity. Alas,
> we cannot yet assume that everybody out there has access to a
> bit-mapped display, so BBS's aren't going to be running mouse-and-icon
> based software anytime soon. However, we CAN assume that either a)
> everybody has a terminal emulator, or b), everybody can get one real
> easy, perhaps by a pre-login mode that lets people download one
> without login in. I mean, if I can get a VT100 emulator with Kermit
> for the lowly Commodore 64, I can't even imagine some computer that
> doesn't have an emulator available for it (except maybe the Sinclair
> ZX81 :-).

    How about the TRS-80 Model 100 portable computer? It has an 8x40 screen
display and uses a wierd set of escape codes for the vt52.

    I never believe in assuming anything. I have many programs available to me
that I just can't use because it assumes I have a 25x80 screen.

    I screen editor must take these in account. Not just what escape codes to
use.

		[> Rd
--
North Coast Computer Resources(ncoast) - 216-781-6201 (or 781-6202)

UUCP: ...uunet!amdahl!sun!mandrill!ncoast!robertd

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (11/26/87)

In article <5808@ncoast.UUCP> robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) writes:
>    How about the TRS-80 Model 100 portable computer? It has an 8x40 screen
>display and uses a wierd set of escape codes for the vt52.
>
>    I never believe in assuming anything. I have many programs available to me
>that I just can't use because it assumes I have a 25x80 screen.
>
>    I screen editor must take these in account. Not just what escape codes to
>use.
I have however, seen Emacs running quite happily (multi window mode even) on
the TRS-80 Model 100.  It's not impossible to accomodate a fairly large set
of configurations.
			Ray
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
dis

Doug_Thompson@221.162.fido.UUCP (11/29/87)

 > Here's where I think the BBS market is going to go: User friendliness.
 >
 > Think about it. It really is a shame that current BBS's, in order to
 > be powerful, must be cryptic. Your average new user is as mystified by
 > your typical BBS, as he'd be if put at the "login:" prompt of a Unix
 > system.

Well that's interesting. But then show me any user interface that does not
leave "the average new user as mystified . . . as he'd be if put at the
login prompt of a Unix system".

My bbs says "What is your first name?"

How much friendlier can you get?

After he gives his name and password, he is presented with a menu for which
a "?" will yield help screens for each option. I really don't think point
and shoot cursor pointing makes things any friendlier. If it is considerd
unfriendly to have to type M for messages, or F for files, I wonder if that
person should be using a keyboard for anything?
Indeed since most callers are still using 1200 BAUD modems, moving the
cursor around the screen would be painfully slow and decidedly unfriendly,
not to mention increasing system overhead. Both are *big* drawbacks.
I suspect the problem is more that new BBS users do not know what a BBS is,
because they really are a new phenomenon for most people. If you did not
know what a tv or a newspaper was, do you think either would seem user-
friendly?

Once people know what they are dealing with, they know that there are
message areas and file areas, and maybe games and other things, and if they
don't know that I don't know what you can do except tell new users, in a
preliminary screen, what a BBS is. This would be un-friendly to most of
those who call me first time since most do know what a BBS is, and if they
didn't would not be calling.

We learn about newspapers and tv by growing up with them, and being exposed
in
school. Before too long people will be learning about BBSs in that way also.
Indeed some kids are already growing up with the BBS as part of their every-
day environment. So the problem, that of introducing the adult user to a
totally new technology, is really more one of "public education" than user
interface. This is not to say that there is not lots of room to improve the
interface -- but rather that "hard to use" is not really a valid criticism
in most cases. A more apt description would be "takes time to learn". I
think there is no effective sort of interface that doesn't take some time to
learn, not just in practice, but in theory. Existing interfaces divide
messages up into "Areas", or topics, like Usenet newsgroups. They permit
listing of the messages with to, from, and subject information. Messages
with the same subject line are linked so by pressing a single key you can
follow a subject train through the message base. One can I)nquire for
subject, to or from lines and get a display of mathcing messages, all with
menu selections. The user can select a full menu (slow) or no menu (fast),
but always has all the choices available by single letter commands. With a
slow modem, everything you display takes time, and the more you display, the
more unfriendly the system is to the thrid-time caller who's got the hang of
it.

 > Another thing that I think is necessary: USENET-style bulletin
 > networking. The limit on a popular BBS is the number of people who can
 > squeeze through on a single telephone line. There's a couple of ways
 > to remove this bottleneck:

Whew . . . what BBS systems have you been calling? The bulk of the message
traffic on most FidoNet BBS machines arrives in net-mail, much like in Unix.
And with gateway software such as is being used to bring this message to you,
 full integration with Usenet news can is also being handled by many.

 > a) Buy a multi-user/multi-processing computer, and add telephone
 > lines. Too expensive for most people, though... for a three-line BBS,
 > we're talking about $300 for installation fees, and $45/month for the
 > phone line, not to mention the IBM AT or other similiarly powerful
 > computer with large hard drive that'd be necessary.

Well, costs vary per region, but any 640K IBM clone can multi-task with a $
50 software package. The phone lines here cost $14/mo +$40 installation. So
the costs of adding a line is not really very significant, nor is the cost
of multi-tasking.

What *is* being done is getting users to go to "end-point" software instead
of terminal emulators to call the BBS. The end-point mailer calls in (any
time, day or night, it can be automated) and fetches his mail, newsgroups or
message areas he wants, and sends in outbound mail. Instead of reading and
writing messages on-line, he does that on his own box. This reduces connect
time from an hour to five minutes for a heavy user. You can see that to
accomplish the same improvement in efficiency by adding phone lines, you'd
have to add 12 phone lines and get well beyond the capacity of your typical
micro.

 > b) A distributed phone-type network a' la' a mini-USENET, where
 > several BBS's can share bulletins. This basically is like having a
 > multi-user BBS, with the advantage that the costs are shared among a
 > number of people, without the hassles of charging a fee (which will
 > repel many people -- when there's hundreds or thousands of BBS's
 > available, sending a couple of bucks to each one so that you can
 > decide which ones you want to use, is out of the question).

Of course the cost of exchanging data over an area greater than the local
calling area imply increased, not reduced costs. The pressure on BBS
operators to find funding sources in addition to their own personal resources
is likely to increase.

We've been doing this for four years, and there are more than 2,000 nodes in
North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Asia. The total user
base is hard to estimate, but probably exceeds 100,000.
You might subscribe to comp.org.fidonet to learn more about BBSing.

I agree there is a problem informing the public about the available BBS
resources. I don't think user-friendliness is the issue though. I think it
has more to do with a general unwillingness to spend the few hours needed to
get familiar with a particular BBS, or read the information that is
prominently displayed. I suppose TV is genuinely user-friendly, in that you
turn it on and sit down and that's it. You are the object, it is the subject
acting on you, and nothing is demanded of you. People are accustomed to
media which act on them with negligible effort. The BBS is inherently a
different kind of medium though, in being interactive. The process of
interaction with any machine, or any person, is something that has to be
learned. For instance, an automobile clutch is not very user-friendly, and
is also an "interactive" technology. Yet who among us has not been able to
master it?

If it is too much trouble for a user to press M to get the message area, and
N to see the next message and + to see the next message in a reply chain or -
 to see the previous message in a reply chain, that user is probably better
off sticking to TV. ---------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
ISIS:  International Student Information Service  519-747-1332 2400/N/8/1
Fido      1:221/162 -- 1:221/0                          280 Phillip St.,
UUCP:     watmath!221!162!fido!Doug_Thompson            Unit B-3-11
          !watmath!orchid!imprint                       Waterloo, Ontario
Bitnet:   fido@water                                    Canada  N2L 3X1
Internet: dt@221.162.fido.waterloo.edu                  (519) 746-5022
  ISIS is a non-profit agency dedicated to international communication
---
 * Origin: * ISIS INTERNATIONAL (221/162)

ins_atge@jhunix.UUCP (Thomas G Edwards) (12/04/87)

  Something I noticed lacking from my high school was -any- kind of
education about computer telecommunications, even relatively simple
things like "modem literacy"...the use of a modem to access BBS's.
I did take a course equivelent to a college intro to computer course
which tought PASCAL with Data Structures, Iteration and Recusion,
and such.
  If there are any high school teachers or planners, please consider the
addition of "modem and BBS literacy" in your computer courses...one
day is about all it takes to learn the concept.  (Then you could keep
one computer open after school for BBS calling use...)
 High School age students are probably the majority of BBS users, and they
will take to the idea and technology rapidly.
  -Thomas